First Post - Windows 7 Update Failure

Great.
Run the command sfc /scannow in an elevated commandprompt and report the result.
If it fails, copy the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log to your desktop.
Zip the copied file and attach the zipped cbs.log to your next reply.

CBS file is attached. Next I need to reboot. Hopefully it will restart without losing the graphics again.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    905.4 KB · Views: 3
As I suspected, the sfc /scannow killed the computer. Considering this is the fifth time in a row that it's done it I did create an image before running it. I'm glad I did because the restore points did not work. I'd get a BSOD upon startup and then went into system recovery which did not work. The only thing that brought it back was restoring from the image.

Whatever sfc /scannow is doing it breaks this computer every time we run it.

Weird that running SFC breaks Windows. It is supposed to do the opposite.
Great that you could restore from an fresh image. Please create a new image very time we need SFC to run to see the state of the OS.
The cbs.log keeps reporting new issues after we fixed others.

Below a partial fix of the issues in the latest cbs.log.

Warning: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Do not run this script on another machine.
  1. Download the attachment fixlist.txt and save it to your desktop.
  2. Right-click on FRST64.exe and select "Run as administrator".
  3. Press the Fix button.
  4. The tool will now process fixlist.txt.
  5. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  6. When finished, a log called Fixlog.txt will appear in the same directory the tool is run from.
  7. Attach the logfile Fixlog.txt to your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 4
SFC VerifyOnly
  • Run the command sfc /verifyonly in an elevated commandprompt and report the result.
  • If it fails, copy the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log to your desktop.
  • Zip the copied file and attach the zipped cbs.log to your next reply.

I'm sorry, you asked to send the CBS file if it fails. The sfc /verifyonly ran fine and I sent the above CBS file.

Your continued support is much appreciated. I'll be travelling for a few days and away from the Windows 7 PC. I'll be back on 5/9.

No problem, we can wait until then. Have a nice trip.

The next fix (about 90MB in size) replaces component files reported as invalid.

WARNING! The following fix is specific to the user's system in this thread only. No one else should follow these instructions, as it could damage your system.
  • Download the file SFCFix.zip and save it on your desktop.
  • Save any work you have open, and close all programs.
  • Drag the SFCFix.zip file over the
    myjIXnC.png
    SFCFix.exe executable and release it.
    1p8eDnI.gif
  • SFCFix will launch, let it complete.
  • Once done, a file will appear on your desktop, called SFCFix.txt.
  • Attach that file to your next reply.

SFCFix completed and a restart was required. Computer restarted fine. SFCFix file is attached.

Attachments

• SFCFix.txt
    1 MB · Views: 3
Next fix.

WARNING! The following fix is specific to the user's system in this thread only. No one else should follow these instructions, as it could damage your system.
  • Download the file SFCFix.zip and save it on your desktop.
  • Drag the SFCFix.zip file over the
    myjIXnC.png
    SFCFix.exe executable and release it.
    1p8eDnI.gif
  • Attach that file to your next reply.

OK, the SFCFix.zip from Post #614 killed the computer. BSOD on startup, it tried to run startup repair and failed. I restored from the 5/1/2024 image, ran the Fixlist from Post #604 and the SFCFix.zip from Post #612, so we should be back to where we were. Something in this latest SFCFix.zip breaks the computer.

I'm attaching the SFCFix again which should be the same as the one in Post #613

Attachments

• SFCFix.txt
    1 MB · Views: 2
Here is a picture I took of the screen when the restore failed.

Attachments

• RestartFail_SFCFix_zip_Post612_05102024s.jpg
    RestartFail_SFCFix_zip_Post612_05102024s.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 3
OK, the SFCFix.zip from Post #614 killed the computer.
The latest log shows you ran the fix in message #612 again, not the one in message #614.
Please perform the instructions as given in message #614 carefully.

Yes, that is correct. The first SFCFix.zip from message #612 ran fine. The SFCFix.zip from message #614 is what killed the computer. You say to run SFCFix.zip from message #614 again but I don't understand why when we know it kills the computer.

Please confirm what you would like to do.

If I understand correctly the log in message #615 is the log from the second time you ran the fix in message #612, after you restored the computer from the 5/1/2024 image ?
The fix in message #614 is mostly related to one KB update. Maybe that caused a problem and breaks Windows.
Attached a fix for other issues.

• Download the attachment SFCFix.zip and save it on your desktop.
  • Drag the SFCFix.zip file over the SFCFix.exe executable and release it.
    1p8eDnI.gif
  • Open the file, then copy and paste its content in your next reply.

Attachments

• SFCFix.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
"If I understand correctly the log in message #615 is the log from the second time you ran the fix in message #612, after you restored the computer from the 5/1/2024 image ?
The fix in message #614 is mostly related to one KB update. Maybe that caused a problem and breaks Windows."

Yes, you understand correctly. It must have been the KB update from the SFCFix.zip file in message #614 that breaks Windows. The SFCFix.zip from message #619 ran successfully. SFCfix file is attached.

Attachments

• SFCFix.txt
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
Back