[SOLVED] Windows Update Failures after restorng factory defaults

ddibowski

Contributor
I have a HP p7-1254. It is currently running w7. I wasrunning w10, but it became unbootable. Afterattempts to get it to work we chose to restore the factory defaults, whichmeant putting w7 back on and applying about 250 updates to Windows.
I have 35 updates that failed and would like advice on howto proceed with fixing these failures. I have attached a screen print of the failures.
I am using the computer to post this and do other things tosee how it is working. It has been okayup to this point but I tried to look at the CBS.log using Windows Explorer andit gave me an Access Denied message. Thatsurprised me. I was able to open theversion on the desktop. Also when Ifirst got into I got message about the popup blocker. I don’t remember what I clicked on but beforeI could allow popups for you site, it went away.
Here is the SFCFix log
SFCFix version 2.4.5.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2015-09-27 08:36:42.587
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.
Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 2.4.5.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2015-09-27 08:41:46.179
----------------------EOF-----------------------
I have attached the CBS.zip. (I tried to attach but it did not appear here. I will try attaching after the thread is created.)
I appreciate your help with this.
Thanks

Re: Logfile submission from ddibowski

The screen print of the failures was too large to attach. let me know if you need it or anything else

Thansk

Hi and welcome to Sysnative. Let's see if we can get you fixed up. I need to see what your logs look like before we continue so I know what state we are starting from. Please first do the following.

SFC Scan

1. Click on the Start
    Start%20Orb.jpg
    button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  2. When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  3. When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

sfc /scannow

Wait for this to finish before you continue

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt
  4. This will create a file, cbs.txt on your Desktop. Please attach this to your next post.

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

Thanks for picking up my case BrianDrab.
I never used Dropbox before. Here is my link – I hope it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5ldaegufqqtsnm/cbs.txt?dl=0

Thank you. That log looks good. Let's check one more.

Step#1 - System Update Readiness Tool (SUR)
1. Download and run the following file.
2. When it asks you if you wish to install, please answer yes. Note: It could take 15 minutes or more to run. Please don't cancel.
3. You will get an Installation Complete screen when it's done running.
4. Please attach the log from the following location. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

Since they were small I attached all three.

Attachments

• FilterList.log
    444 bytes · Views: 0
  • CheckSUR.log
    394 bytes · Views: 1
  • CheckSUR.persist.log
    397 bytes · Views: 0
Excellent info. Thanks. OK, please manually download KB3075226 and save to your desktop. Attempt to install from the downloaded file and if it fails please provide me the following log. Let me know if you receive any error messages as well.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

You will need to copy the log to your desktop and then zip it up and attach.

I got the message the "Security Update for Windows (KB3075226) is already installed on this computer". The CBS.log had a time date stamp of 10:53 - when I ran the last step. (#7)

That's what I suspected. I think these updates did fail at one time but actually are installed now. If you go to Windows Updates and check for updates are there any that show that need installed?

I looked in the list. That KB failed twice but was successful once all on 9/26. Does this mean all the failed were ultimately successful. I can check that easy enough. I'm so sorry if that is the case.

I checked updates. There are none.

There is one important(KB2901983) that has been there for a while but never selected? Should I apply it?

I'm sorry I have to be away for about 2hrs.

Does this mean all the failed were ultimately successful

Correct.

There is one important(KB2901983) that has been there for a while but never selected? Should I apply it?
Entirely up to you. It's a big .NET Framework update. If it was me I would.

I think you are good to go. Let me know if you need anything else.

I have looked at the failures and most were installed successfully.

These are the ones that did not have a successful install.

KB2965788
SecurityUpdate for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2965788)

KB2656356
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 onWindows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2656356)

KB2789645
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 onWindows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB2789645)

KB3087038
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 forWindows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3087038)

I looked through the installed programs and did not find IE9 installed so I don't think I need to worry about KB3087038.

So how about the rest?

I did install KB2901983. It was successful.

Thanks for your help on this.

If you check for windows updates and there aren't any to install you are good to go. The updates in the history can be ignored. Many of them may have been superseded by other updates.

There were a few more updates with the same description as KB2901983. I now have no more updates at this time.

Thank you for all your help with this case. I really do appreciate the time you spent. This case can be closed.

Back