Microsoft has released a Malware Prevention Troubleshooter Tool
This free tool will check if your Windows computer has the recommended security settings and security software.
It will scan your PC and then make recommended changes automatically.
The Windows Malware Prevention Troubleshooter will carry out the following checks and tests:
- Checks Windows Firewall configuration and repairs as needed.
- Checks Windows policies to determine bad settings in the Windows Registry.
- Checks status of antivirus.
- Checks Internet Explorer privacy setting to determine how cookies are handled.
- Checks Windows Update to ensure computer is kept current and secure.
- Resets Remote Registry back to default to prevent remote modification.
- Resets User Account Control to default to prevent unauthorized changes to computer.
- Clears Internet Explorer history and cache.
- Checks if Internet Explorer is up to date.
- Checks Internet Explorer Privacy Settings
- Checks if WSCAPI system file does not exist
- Checks if SmartScreen filter is turned off
- Checks if Pop-up Blocker is turned off
- Checks Proxy Settings
- Ensures that Windows Security Center service is On.