Windows 7 Update Error # 80070002

gnaijiz

Hi,

I have been having this error message 80070002 for months whenever I tried to run the Windows update. I searched on the internet and tried all the suggestions I could find but I still cannot fix it. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help.

I have attached the system CBS.log but it is not from the sfc /scannow output since sfc will not run on my PC and only gave me a message saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

I also attached the CheckSUR.persist.log from the installation of the System Update Readiness Tool.

I also downloaded the SFCFix tool and ran it. The log output is also attached.

Please let me know if you need any additional info to proceed.

Thanks a lot!
Yang

Attachments

• logs.zip
    545.1 KB · Views: 3
BTW, it's a 64-bit system. I also tried to delete the invalid keys in Windows registry but that did not seem to make any difference.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Yang and welcome to the forum.

BTW, it's a 64-bit system. I also tried to delete the invalid keys in Windows registry but that did not seem to make any difference.

Did you make a back up? This might make it harder to resolve.

Please run SURT again and upload a new CheckSUR log.

Hi Yang and welcome to the forum.

Did you make a back up? This might make it harder to resolve.

Please run SURT again and upload a new CheckSUR log.

Thanks so much for your help!

To answer your question, no, I did not make a backup to my registry before deleting the keys. I just ran SURT again and here is the new log.

Attachments

• logs_Jan_15_2015.zip
    552.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank you. From looking over the log their appears to be some incorrect entries found inside the COMPONENTS hive, these are known as Bitflips:

Code:
amd64_microsoft-windows-i..browsing-teployment_31bf3(56ad364e35_6.1.'601.17514_none_"39daa8d36aaacb5.manifest
amd64_microsoft-windws-i..document-deployment_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_t9db1708e5eb994b.manifest

This fix will take a few rounds. For now we can repair all the corrupt .cat and .mum files.

SURT Package replacement

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

1. Click Here to download Packs.zip and save this to your Desktop.
  2. Right-click on the file and select Extract All...
  3. Tick the box labelled Show extracted files when complete then click Extract
  4. A window will open showing two folders, Manifests and Packages
  5. Open the Manifests folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
  6. Open the Packages folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Servicing\Packages
  7. Run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) again.
  8. When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Please download the Freeware RegBak from here: Acelogix Software - Download products

Navigate to C:\Windows\RegBak\{Date}\ and copy the COMPONENTS file to your Desktop. If the COMPONENTS file does not exist, please fetch it instead from C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS.

Now right click on it > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Then please upload it to your favourite file sharing website (it will be too big to upload here). If you have a Microsoft Account, OneDrive could be a good choice: https://onedrive.live.com/, but any other will do just fine. Make sure to set the file as publicly accessible

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Yang,

The log looks a lot better:

Code:
Summary:
Seconds executed: 153
 Found 110 errors
 Fixed 106 errors

SURT has only detected another 4 issues that need to be looked at.

Before I construct a fix for you there is one thing I would like you to do. When these random symbols appear inside the registry this can often be an indication of bad/failing RAM. Please follow the instructions for MemTest86+, for atleast 10 passes. Let me know the results.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the late response. I have been running the mem test for 10 hours now and it only finished 4 passes with 12 errors. It might take another 10 hours to finish the complete test.

I will keep you updated once the test is finished.

Thanks,
Yang

Hi Yang,

The log looks a lot better:

Code:
Summary:
Seconds executed: 153
 Found 110 errors
 Fixed 106 errors

SURT has only detected another 4 issues that need to be looked at.

Before I construct a fix for you there is one thing I would like you to do. When these random symbols appear inside the registry this can often be an indication of bad/failing RAM. Please follow the instructions for MemTest86+, for atleast 10 passes. Let me know the results.

Alex

Hi Alex,

It has run for 20 hours now and only finished 7 passes. Please see attached for a screen shot. Please let me know if I should keep waiting or it already gives enough information.

Thanks,
Yang

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the late response. I have been running the mem test for 10 hours now and it only finished 4 passes with 12 errors. It might take another 10 hours to finish the complete test.

I will keep you updated once the test is finished.

Thanks,
Yang

Attachments

• screen_shot.jpg
    screen_shot.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi Yang,

Those errors are not good :(, a lot of errors have been detected by MEMTEST as you can see. This is a sign of failing RAM, how old is this computer? Was it built by your self?

You will most likely need to replace the memory on this machine.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I finished 13 passes and there are 92 errors in total. They all happened around two addresses and the same bits every time.

I built the computer three years ago and probably did not get the best memory at the time. I will replace the memory.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Yang

Hi Yang,

Your welcome, good luck with replacing the RAM.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I got the new RAM yesterday and ran the memtest again. This time everything was fine I finished 10 passes with zero errors.

I tried the Windows update but it still failed with the same error. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks a lot!
Yang

Hi Yang,

The RAM wont actually fix the Windows Update issues, but it will hopefully prevent this from reoccurring.

Now onto the WU issues.

Please download the Freeware RegBak from here: Acelogix Software - Download products

Navigate to C:\Windows\RegBak\{Date}\ and copy the COMPONENTS file to your Desktop. If the COMPONENTS file does not exist, please fetch it instead from C:\Windows\System32\config\COMPONENTS.

Then please upload it to your favourite file sharing website (it will be too big to upload here). If you have a Microsoft Account, OneDrive could be a good choice: https://onedrive.live.com/, but any other will do just fine. Make sure to set the file as publicly accessible

Hi Alex,

Here is the file. Please find it at: http://1drv.ms/15yrHGV

The file name is "COMPONENTS_Jan_23_2015.zip".

Thanks for your help!
Yang

Hi Yang,

The RAM wont actually fix the Windows Update issues, but it will hopefully prevent this from reoccurring.

Now onto the WU issues.

Hi Yang,

We will see if SFCFix will manually fix these BitFlips, if not we will have to do it manually.

SFCFix script

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

1. Download SFCFix.exe (by niemiro) and save this to your Desktop.
  2. Go to your desktop and right click on the background -> Select New -> Text Document -> Name this file SFCFixScript.txt.
  3. Open up SFCFixScript.txt and copy all of the following text inside the code box below and paste it into SFCFixScript.txt.
    Code:
    BitShift::
  4. Click on File -> Save. Close out of SFCFixScript.txt.
  5. Save any open documents and close all open windows.
  6. On your Desktop, you should see two files: SFCFix.exe and SFCFixScript.txt.
  7. Drag the file SFCFixScript.txt onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it.
  8. SFCFix will now process the script.
  9. Upon completion, a file should be created on your Desktop: SFCFix.txt.
  10. Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of this file into your next post for me to analyse please - put [CODE][/CODE] tags around the log to break up the text.

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I followed your instruction and the SFCfix is stuck for 5 hours without any progress, so I had to close it manually. Is it normal for the SFCfix to take that long? Please see the screen capture below. I also ran the SFCfix without the script and the result is also posted below.

Please advise what I should do next.

Many thanks,
Yang

View attachment 10647

Code:
Code:
SFCFix version 2.4.1.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2015-01-27 12:09:16.246
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
WARNING: Unicode Registry Corruption Detected: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\Components\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..nese-eacommonapij`n_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.'601.217'9_none_f067713f000d1ce4

SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
   CBS & SFC total detected corruption count:     -8722
   CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count:  0
   CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count:        0
   SURT total detected corruption count:          111
   SURT total unimportant corruption count:       0
   SURT total fixed corruption count:             0
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 2.4.1.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2015-01-27 12:27:19.730
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Hi Yang,

Those errors are not good :(, a lot of errors have been detected by MEMTEST as you can see. This is a sign of failing RAM, how old is this computer? Was it built by your self?

Alex

Are any MEMtest errors okay? If I see any, I send Mem. in for warranty free replacement. Lifetime warranty is my choice here for any mem. I buy. That a good choice to start.

Are any MEMtest errors okay? If I see any, I send Mem. in for warranty free replacement. Lifetime warranty is my choice here for any mem. I buy. That a good choice to start.

Hi, I have replaced the memory and I don't see any errors now.

Thanks,
Yang

Hi, I have replaced the memory and I don't see any errors now.

Thanks,
Yang

Hi Yang,

When I started to edit the COMPONENTS hive manually for you the hive dropped from 43MB to 17MB, when this normally happens i indicates a lot of information is missing from the COMPONENTS.

To be completely honest here, I believe you will be better of doing a repair install or a fresh install of windows. If it was me I would do a fresh install. When these bitflips are found inside the registry it ismost likely from the RAM damage. The problem is these bitflips could be in all the other registry hives as well.

Would this be an option for you?

Alex

Hi Yang,

Alex

Na the memtest errors where quite bad.

Back