[SOLVED] Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade failure (0x8007001f - 0x3000d)

Hello,
im trying to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 but the process fails everytime. Im using the mediaCreationTool22H2 from the official microsoft website and i opt for the installation that keeps my files and settings (in-place i think is the term).
-I have ran sfc scannow and sfcfix without finding any corruption

-I have installed all windows updates from the system's updater

-I scanned the registry values for the profiles for "bad" entries (none found, 4 present, myself, the system, and 2 for service profiles), I also changed the path keys (from C:\ to %systemdrive%, in case the hardcoded paths were obstructing the process)

-I have deleted the 3rd party antivirus (avast)

-I made a second admin account from which i tried to do the upgrade, with exactly the same result.

-I made the system service Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to start automatically (previously it was on auto-delayed)

The installation stops at 71% where it reverts to 57% and reboots, reverting to windows 7 with code 0x8007001f - 0x3000d.
From hardware's side my only 2 concerns are if the intel hd 2500 is not compatible with win10 (i only have onboard gpu), and that the whole system was cloned from an HDD to an SSD (or even that the HDD is still connected in the motherboard as secondary drive, failing the process). I have to note that ssd runs in IDE mode, since the AHCI mode needed clean install of windows 7 to work.
An other concern, since the error code seems to be related upgrades from windows 10 to 11, i have a suspicion that the tool might be trying to upgrade to windows 11, which probably is incompatible with my old hardware.
Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition, 8gb of ram, almost half a TB free SSD space, iGPU Intel HD 2500, all drivers up to date.

Worth to be noted that the SURT/DISM fails with a message about restoreHealth not being recognized in this enviroment (error 87) (i downloaded the latest version for my OS). Also, my soundcard was burnt from a bad PSU 2 years ago and since i use a usb stick as a light sound card. Because of on-off behavior of audio jacks, i disabled the realtek component but kept it updated. During my installation tries, i re-enabled the component, just to be sure, with exactly the same result.

From the numerous threads i encountered the past days, most people were requesting setupact and setuperr from 3 different directories (C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback , C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther , C:\windows), files which i have attached. I have also attached the SFCFix, DISM log, componentsScanner and CBS.rar (all files excluding one 2 month old .cab file, because it seemed irrelevant and to save a few mbs for the upload).
Excuse me for writing such a long post, i tried to give as many info as possible. Clean installation is my absolute last resort.
I would appreciate any help.
Best regards

Attachments

• setuperr-setupact-C_Windows.rar
    1.7 KB · Views: 3
  • setuperr-setupact-Panther.rar
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • setuperr-setupact-Rollback.rar
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
  • SFCFix-DISM_log-Components_Scanner.rar
    77.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CBS.rar
    18.8 MB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome,

Step 1:
Run a new scan with the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and provide a log.
  1. Download SURT for your system. (Windows 7 SP1 x64)
  2. Once downloaded, execute the installer, and go through the installation (this process can take around 15-20 minutes).
  3. On completion, a log will be created in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log.
  4. Attach this log to your next reply.
Alternatively, if these instructions are unclear for you, you can follow the tutorial below.
System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

Step 2:
Provide a list of Windows user accounts ever setup on this machine and which one did you use during the upgrade attempt ?

Hello and thanks for your reply.
I have attached the checksur.log, which states that no errors were found.
2 accounts were ever setup on this machine. "Κωστας", which is an admin account, all things done from here, and "admin" (also an admin account) which was made to be used as the account performing the upgrade, in case it solved the above problem, which it didnt. The admin account doesnt exist anymore, i deleted it through windows's normal operation and the leftover folder in C:\Users was deleted manually. There is also no trace of this account either in the registry (under ProfileList) or under windows's "Manage another account" (which only has Κωστας, as admin, and Guest, stating that it is disabled).

Attachments

• CheckSUR.log
    394 bytes · Views: 1
I forgot a thing
The latest upgrade attempt was done from "Κωστας", but one of the previous attempts was done from "admin". In my latest attempt, i disconnected the HDD and all unneeded peripherals (only mouse, keyboard and monitor left), sadly with the same result.

The admin account doesnt exist anymore, i deleted it through windows's normal operation and the leftover folder in C:\Users was deleted manually.
Best not to mess with these default system settings but that is too late now.

FRST Scan:
  1. Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop:
    64-bit: Downloading Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
    Note: Your antivirus program may report FRST incorrectly as an infection. If so, disable the real-time protection when downloading and running FRST.
  2. Download the attachment fixlist.txt and save it to your desktop.
  3. Right-click on FRST64.exe and select "Run as administrator".
  4. Press the Fix button.
  5. The tool will now process fixlist.txt.
  6. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  7. When finished, a log called Fixlog.txt will appear in the same directory the tool is run from.
  8. Attach the logfile Fixlog.txt to your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    135 bytes · Views: 2
I attached the requested file.
"Best not to mess with these default system settings but that is too late now." I actually followed the procedure to remove the account from control panel, the only manual action was the deletion of the empty folder in the Users directory. I didnt mess with the registry, and i did this because the error code according to my search has to do with remnants of profiles, or profiles in other drives. Leaving it there, would probably cause the problem, in case any other of my actions may had solved it. I didnt fiddle with any default settings, i think what i did was legal and perfectly safe.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
I didnt fiddle with any default settings, i think what i did was legal and perfectly safe.
All clear now.

Please translate the last line in the quote below:
========= dir c:\Windows.old\Users =========

胢Ν뗂숃ν 뗂門숃ν뇂츃Ή 蓎츃Ε뷂숃α铎숃ή 럂 숀ε鷎츃Α뗂츃Γ럂 츀Δ迎츃Ε 諎숃α裎츃Ώ野츃Ή鏎츃Ό귂숃ν迎츃Ε 뇂츃Α韎숃ε胢Ε迎츃Ε 뇂츃ΐ鳎 츀Δ迎 츀Γ鷎츃Γ铎숃η賎숃α.

the only manual action was the deletion of the empty folder in the Users directory.
Can you recreate that folder, leave it empty.
Restart the machine.
Try the upgrade again and report the result.

This line is a bunch of symbols, its gibberish. There is no Windows.old directory in C drive, maybe thats why it gives this output.

I dont understand why this folder you think was important, maybe i wasnt clear, or you are up to something i havent thought of.
I have an administrator account named Κωστας, and this is the only user that ever existed on this machine until yesterday. Because the upgrade was failing, someone pointed that creating a new administrator account and run the upgrade from there, might solve the problem. So i created through the windows wizard, a new account named "admin". I logged in there (while logged out of Κωστας) and tried to upgrade from there. The upgrade failed with the exact same code, at the exact level of installation progress. Now i had an account that i didnt need anymore, so i used the windows wizard again, to remove this account. The removal was successful, no registry entries were left behind, no trace of this account ever existed, except from the path C:\Users, where Κωστας and Public folders exist, admin was still there with some empty subdirectories, but all empty. And i deleted it, to leave no trace of the account.
So, the upgrade failed before there was any new account created, the account was created but the upgrade failed again, the account was deleted and the remaining folder served no purpose, since it was never there, before the creation of the said account. and of course the upgrade keeps failing.

If you insist, i can do the following. Create administrator account, delete it and show you the remnants. Excuse me for this long answer but I think its irrelevant and of no value to recreate it. I can do it, in seconds, actually, but its of no use, since the problem was even before the creation of this new account.

Just to point out something. I reviewed the fixlog file and for some reason the registry key that contains the path to my user folder is gibberish.
Fixlog path shows %systemdrive%\Users\‰ΰ©« but opening regedit and seeing the value i get this %systemdrive%\Users\Κωστας
I thought it was because of the text encoding in the file but reading the next lines of fixlog, the catalog of C:\Users contains my account as Κωστας and not the weird symbols like above. Do you think that because the name contains non-Latin characters would somehow obstruct the installation?
And to add something in this, when i read that the error code has to do with profiles, i went to check for weird entries, none were found, but the path to my user account was C:\Users\Κωστας, when the other entries used the variable %systemdrive%. I changed C: with %systemdrive%, believing that the hardcoded path caused the problem. This didnt fix the problem, but i didnt revert the change since, C is equivalent to systemdrive variable, when the systemdrive is just one and its also the current one.

Last edited:
Do you think that because the name contains non-Latin characters would somehow obstruct the installation?
No. If that is the case a lot of users should have had an upgrade problem.

i went to check for weird entries, none were found, but the path to my user account was C:\Users\Κωστας, when the other entries used the variable %systemdrive%.
This is normal. A registry value that contains the variable %systemdrive% is sometimes exported as "%systemdrive%" and sometimes replaced with the value it contains.

Please do following:
FRST Scan:
  1. Download the attachment fixlist.txt and save it to your desktop.
  2. Right-click on FRST64.exe and select "Run as administrator".
  3. Press the Fix button.
  4. The tool will now process fixlist.txt.
  5. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  6. When finished, a log called Fixlog.txt will appear in the same directory the tool is run from.
  7. Attach the logfile Fixlog.txt to your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    27 bytes · Views: 1
Start the Windows tool RegEdit.
In Regedit, select in the left pane HKEY_USERS.
Click File - Load Hive.
Browse to the file C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT and click Open.
You will be asked to enter a name for this hive. Enter the name defuser
Right-click the key HKEY_USERS\defuser and select Export
Select your desktop as export location, enter a filename, then click Save. Attach that file to your next reply.
Close Regedit.

The process fails when loading hive. It says it couldnt load file C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT.LOG
So even though the file is named NTUSER.DAT, when looking its properties, the file extension is .log, and there is no other file which is NTUSER with file extension .dat
Should i change the extension to .dat? and then try to load hive?

Disregard my last post, the file was there but was hidden.
I have attached the exported file.

Attachments

• defuser.rar
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
Please do following.

FRST Search
  1. Click the Start button and choose Control Panel.
  2. In the upper right corner ensure the View by: is set to Category.
  3. Select the Programs group.
  4. Click the Turn Windows features on or off link. This will bring up the Windows Features dialog.
    Note: This loads your components hive which is what we want. Please keep this dialog open while you perform the remaining steps. You can minimize it if you wish but keep it open.
  5. Right-click on the file FRST64.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    Note: Your antivirus program may report FRST incorrectly as an infection. If so, disable the real-time protection when running FRST.
  6. Copy and paste SearchAll:S-1-0-0;%USERSID% into the Search box and click the Search Files button.
  7. When the scan is complete, a message will display that 'Search.txt' is saved in the same folder FRST was started from. Notepad will open this file also. Close Notepad and attach the file 'Search.txt' to your next reply.
  8. You may close any remaining open windows now.

Thanks for your answer. I followed the steps exactly as stated. I have attached the requested file.

Attachments

• Search.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 2
I tried to upgrade from a clean boot, used the windows disk cleanup tool to remove unwanted system files and previous installation remnants but every time the error is the same. No one on the entire internet has this error code with the errors that are found in the final moments before failure in the setupact/setuperr logs.
2024-02-28 20:32:32, Error [0x080778] MIG CMigUnitManager: agent CCSIAgent threw an exception during AdjustRules: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: userID unsigned short __cdecl Mig::CCatalog::GetUserIndex(class UnBCL::String *)[gle=0x000036b7]
2024-02-28 20:32:32, Error MigApply caught exception: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: userID void __cdecl Mig::CAgentManager::AdjustRules(class Mig::CPlatform *,class Mig::CPlatform *,class Mig::CUserContext *,class Mig::CMigUnitList *,class Mig::CMigUnitList *,struct IMigExecuteProgress *)
unsigned short __cdecl Mig::CCatalog::GetUserIndex(class UnBCL::String *)
The bolded lines are the opposite of specific, they dont show a name or a registry path like in other users encountering this issue.
It starts getting on my nerves because everyone says its a profiles issue and they all go change a registry value or delete a folder and it works.

The upgrade is somehow pointing to an unknown or invalid USERID (S-1-0-0).
I noticed some unwanted programs in the logs, mostly adware related. These may be remnants.
Lets have a deeper look into your system.

FRST Scan:
  1. Right-click to run FRST64.exe as administrator.
    Note: Your antivirus program may report FRST incorrectly as an infection. If so, disable the real-time protection when downloading and running FRST.
  2. Note: Ensure that the Addition.txt check box is checked at the bottom of the form within the Optional Scan area.
  3. Press the Scan button.
  4. Please wait for the tool to finish. It will produce two logfiles called FRST.txt and Addition.txt in the same directory the tool is run from (which should be the desktop)
  5. Post the logfiles FRST.txt and Addition.txt as attachment in your next reply.

Hello and thanks for your answer. I have attached the requested files.
The user S-1-0-0, from my minimal understanding, i thought was temporarily made in order to make the migration possible. If not, looking at the logs, it seems that it mistakes it for the default user. I dont even know what im talking about, im trying to guess, since, there is no documentation of this happening anywhere i searched.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Addition.txt
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
After further research, the S-1-0-0 userID is used for the default user during the migration process. So it doesnt actually exist, it gets created for the migration purpose of, i believe the default user. Now something interesting happens. I created a new admin user to try the upgrade from there. The problem is exactly the same, but this time, i studied the logs in a little more detail than last time and found out that the exception is now triggered from the new account i have created (adminadmin, with its own lengthy userID) and not from (S-1-0-0). So either the default user (which is a template for all other users) is corrupted (or at least not in the form the installer expects???), or the reason is someting that happens in an earlier stage and triggers the exception later than expected. The thing is, the code 0x8007001f - 0x3000d is documented to be linked with data migration and not specifically profile migration (if im not mistaken), so profiles might not be the real problem, but where the "bubble pops". Im attaching the new panther logs, so you can see for yourself. If you think we are out of options, then a clean install is the only way.
Once again thanks for your time.

Attachments

• setupact_setuperr.rar
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Back