I used EaseToDo Backup to restore an image of my windows 8.1 C: partition to another partition I:. I did not restore the
associated boot partition that was part of the backup image. Only the C: partition was restored.
I then used BCDedit to create a mult-iboot option as EasyBCD was giving me a blank screen when I booted into I:.
Note that I ran sfc /scannow and windows repair after I first booted into the new I: partition and did not see any
icons, charms etc. They repaired a number of files.
When I boot into the restored 8.1 partition I: the following faults consistently occur.
1. Only the desktop background picture appears.
2. None of the desktop shortcuts appear.
3. Only The start icon bottom left bottom corner of the screen appears but nothing happens or appears when I click on it,
although ClassicShell was part of the backup image that was restored.
4. When I place the cursor in the right edge corners of the screen, the normal windows 8.1 charms search, settings,,
share, devices icons do not appear. Task Manager, properties, Navigation has the tick selected to say that the charms
should appear when the mouse go to the right edge of the screen but they do not.
5. The taskbar icons including, date, time, battary status power, internet status, etc at the bottom right of the screen
do not appear
6.If I right click on the taskbar, I can get into windows 8.1 task manager which shows that all the normal services etc
are up an running.
7. The only way I can execute any program on the system is via task manager, file, run new task, browse to the program
folder,select the exe and then run it as administrator. If I then minimize the program, the minimized window icon on the
taskbar does not appear. I can only re-execute the program by going into task manager, select the executing program, expand
it and then click on it, which results in the program window re-appearing.
8. When I browse the PC via Task manager and run Explorer administrator, Explorer shows Windows is still using OneDrive
from my old system partition which is still shown as the C: drive in Explorer. The I: partition which I booted into is
shown as the D: partition in Explorer. When I execute CMD.exe as administrator , I am shown to be in D:\Windows\system32.
9. I tried to install the latest version of Classicshell, and it gives an error saying that I am in Windows safe mode, so
the installation fails.
10. Task Manager properties Navigation shows that the charms should appear when I go to the right edge of the screen, but
the charms do not appear when I do so.
11.I can only get into Windows Explorer if I go via task manager, file, run new task, explorer.exe as administrator.
12. In some instances, when I execute a program via task manager, I get an error message saying Windows cannot find some
file that it is looking for on my C: drive. I do not see why it should be looking on my C: drive when all the associated
programs etc are on my D/I: drive which is the partition I booted into.
Note also that I can boot into my old Windows C: partition correctly without any problems whatsover.
Can anyone help, please?
Below is a copy of my BCD store.
Windows Boot Manager
description Windows Boot Manager
Windows Boot Loader
description Windows 8.1
Windows Boot Loader
description windows 8.1 GAMES