Windows 10 Error 0x800f081f -Source file not found

I have to admit that the Power Options in Windows 10 are so numerous (in the advanced settings, especially) that what each button does to wake the system can get unnecessarily complicated. (It's almost as bad as my grammar ... to complicated for my own good).

Odd that a shell extension on a backup app messed with Programs & Features! Haven't seen that before. Glad you figured that one out. Some "handy-dandy" apps make lots of changes to the shell (such as the Explorer extensions that are optional in Classic menu) ... but I'm still bewildered by the backup app getting involved in those. Never a dull moment, looks like.

The Midlands probably seem tropical now, huh :) ..... Just to make you feel better, the Valley cooled back down to its average winter temp - in the high 50s/lmid 60s F, with rain expected later tonight & tomorrow ... We don't see real snow here unless we go up to the local mountains (about an hours drive) - skiing is pretty nice up there. Looks like your local mountains have some good skiing too (probably a lot more snow, too). ... the reason the temps go up and down so much here in the Valley is that the natural habitat here is actually a semi-desert, with the large variations between night-time lows and day-time highs... an aqueduct from Northern California changed everything quite a bit as far as growing things & drinking water, but the climate isn't all that affected by a few reservoirs :) .... Cheers!

My PC still seems to be working OK, despite the corruptions thrown up by sfc / scannow & DISM. I'll leave removing them until the next major Windows 10 build / overwrite of the OS, unless it plays up operationally. As a Microsoft 'Insider' do you know when MS are likely to issue a new build? I expect they'll issue one by the end of their first year. (i.e. July 31st.)

Using Hibernate is practically identical (operator-wise) to using sleep when you want to leave your PC for a while. OK, it takes a few seconds longer to shuts down (but for a home user, that's not a problem - you just walk away and leave it to do it's 'thing') but coming back from hibernate is as quick as coming back from sleep - and (at least on my PC) you can do it with the left mouse button - just as you can with the sleep mode.

Re the shell problem: I found on another forum that quite a few people have had problems with the start-up context menu not responding on a left mouse button click - and the fix was to turn off one or more Shell extensions. I used cCleaner to look which programs had Shell extensions - I think SurDoc was the only one. To start with I just shut it off, but since I only have a small amount of free Cloud storage there, I shut the account down. (I have 250GB at JustCloud but I have to pay for that! At least their technical support is excellent.)

It snowed here again yesterday / last night and is only 2 degrees C. Our children / grandchildren go skiing - we're about 70 mins from the Glenshee ski centre. At our age, we prefer to keep our feet on non-slip ground! I guess if I'd lived here in my youth (rather than Coventry) I would have learnt to ski, but the Midlands is too far from any ski slopes for regular skiing. Re: Water in your part of the world, I think there are so many places (now) taking water out of the Colorado that by the time it reaches the Pacific Ocean it's only a dribble! Fortunately, we don't have that problem here. In fact, in recent weeks there has been too much water (rain) with roads & bridges getting washed away and a few people killed. The ground is saturated. On that cheerie note, I'll go and have a cuppa!

Good Morning (although it's night-time here on the West Coast, U.S.)

Seems like the sun will be rising soon in Edinburgh ...

The big November 2015 Windows 10 update was a fairly major release called "Threshold 2" ... You guessed correctly that the next public release is expected to arrive in the summer of 2016 (but you know how MS is about schedules) ... If you like to follow the "coming attractions" side of Windows 10, Mary Jo Foley's blog "All About Microsoft" keeps us all updated pretty regularly, along with the Windows 10 section on Paul Thurrot's "Windows Supersite" ... That summer-ish update is nicknamed "Redstone". I'd be testing it right now on my Windows 10 Insider laptop, but I haven't had time yet ... the first few betas of Redstone are just now getting the Insider once-over. I'm thinking of doing a clean install of the Redstone release (it's called "build 14251"), just to clear up a little more space (drive was getting a bit cramped!).. Here are the links to those Microsoft sites I mentioned:
Mary Jo Foley -- All About Microsoft | ZDNe
Paul Thurrot --- http://winsupersite.com/windows/windows-10
I really enjoy their articles - they've been in the business forever and a day.

I've used and recommended CCleaner for years: but never noticed a function that would let me look at shell extensions. I'll have to take a look later on ... Always a good day to learn something new.

The flooding in the UK made the news here in the states .... Hope it's calming down some ..... stay safe (no boating through the town) .... Oh, and the Colorado River might be getting some relief, I saw a documentary that spoke of plans to let more of its water get to some of its wetlands where it meets the ocean: the wetlands are very rich environments, and have a lot of unexpected benefits for both wildlife and us.

Good Morning (although it's night-time here on the West Coast, U.S.)

Seems like the sun will be rising soon in Edinburgh ...

The big November 2015 Windows 10 update was a fairly major release called "Threshold 2" ... You guessed correctly that the next public release is expected to arrive in the summer of 2016 (but you know how MS is about schedules) ... If you like to follow the "coming attractions" side of Windows 10, Mary Jo Foley's blog "All About Microsoft" keeps us all updated pretty regularly, along with the Windows 10 section on Paul Thurrot's "Windows Supersite" ... That summer-ish update is nicknamed "Redstone". I'd be testing it right now on my Windows 10 Insider laptop, but I haven't had time yet ... the first few betas of Redstone are just now getting the Insider once-over. I'm thinking of doing a clean install of the Redstone release (it's called "build 14251"), just to clear up a little more space (drive was getting a bit cramped!).. Here are the links to those Microsoft sites I mentioned:
Mary Jo Foley -- All About Microsoft | ZDNe
Paul Thurrot --- http://winsupersite.com/windows/windows-10
I really enjoy their articles - they've been in the business forever and a day.

I've used and recommended CCleaner for years: but never noticed a function that would let me look at shell extensions. I'll have to take a look later on ... Always a good day to learn something new.

The flooding in the UK made the news here in the states .... Hope it's calming down some ..... stay safe (no boating through the town) .... Oh, and the Colorado River might be getting some relief, I saw a documentary that spoke of plans to let more of its water get to some of its wetlands where it meets the ocean: the wetlands are very rich environments, and have a lot of unexpected benefits for both wildlife and us.

Well, we saw a bit of sun here today (we're approx 80 miles north of Edinburgh) - but a lot of wind! I measured it on the hill opposite our house (which certainly isn't the highest point around) and it was gusting at 30mph. Last night, it reached 100mph on the Tay Bridge!

Many thanks for the links to the two Windows 10 blogs. I'll certainly take a look. I've now got my sleep mode back. The PC wasn't quite right in a couple of areas and attempts to use System Restore kept coming up with errors and messages telling me that nothing had been changed. Since I tend to take fairly regular images (I have a 4GB USB3 external drive connected to it) I used one from about three weeks ago and then put back the few programs I have added since taking the image. After installing each one, I checked that the sleep mode was working OK and also that the Start button context menu could access Command Prompt etc. All was working well until I re-installed Driver Genius. The program didn't cause any problems, but when I ran a driver check it reported that I had 17 or 20 out-of-date drivers in six packages. (Before running it I used it to generate a drivers backup.)

After updating a each couple of driver sets, I again checked for correct operation of the sleep mode. When I got to the last two sets - Broadcom SM Bus Controller and Intel Management Engine - the sleep mode failed! I tried to identify these specific drivers in the Device Manager, but since I couldn't do so, I restored all the drivers to their previous version. I then ran a driver check again on Driver Genius and it said all my drivers were up to date! I think that's because when it makes a backup of your drivers it makes a new set of folders to keep them in. If you have restored your drivers from these folders and then run a check again, it looks at the date on the folders and not at the date on individual drivers, hence it can't identify the six driver sets for updating originally identified - which is not ideal. Still, I also have WinZip Driver Updater and that only identified about four drivers which needed updating (which I had fortunately done before I re-installed Driver Genius) so there can't be any seriously 'amiss'.

Regarding cCleaner, to see the Shell extensions, go to the Startup tab in Tools and Context Menu list. If you think a particular program is causing your problem (as I had with SurDoc) you can turn off their respective start up from here with a right mouse click.

Glad to here a bit more of the Colorado water is now going to get to the wetlands further down stream.

Hi again

That problem with version 11 of the Intel Management Engine is a "known issue" ... that we're hoping gets fixed by Intel whenever they get around to it. ... Way back in the ancient history or our repair talks (in my post labeled "#5") I pasted in one method for reverting back to older version drivers without having Windows Update come along and update to version 11 (which breaks a few things). Hadn't looked into Broadcom issues yet ... though the Intel network drivers were quite a problem early on in Windows 10 (they'd show up as "ndis" errors - quite a few users did the same workaround for the Intel network drivers that they did for the Intel IME/AMT drivers ... reverting back a version & hiding future driver updates for those drivers ... until some idyllic future date when working drivers arrive [ and Arthur returns to rule at Camelot :) ... ]

So: if the newer (system-wrecker) drivers get installed by Windows Update at some point, you'll want to use that Microsoft handy-dandy tool to hide the driver updates for those two. (The step-by-step details are still over in that #5 post here)...

100 mph winds!!! (seems like a tornado/hurricane strength without the clouds!) Remind me not to go for a nice country stroll on that bridge if I'm up roaming about in N.E. Scotland ....

... and thanks again for the CCleaner tips.

Hi again

That problem with version 11 of the Intel Management Engine is a "known issue" ... that we're hoping gets fixed by Intel whenever they get around to it. ... Way back in the ancient history or our repair talks (in my post labeled "#5") I pasted in one method for reverting back to older version drivers without having Windows Update come along and update to version 11 (which breaks a few things). Hadn't looked into Broadcom issues yet ... though the Intel network drivers were quite a problem early on in Windows 10 (they'd show up as "ndis" errors - quite a few users did the same workaround for the Intel network drivers that they did for the Intel IME/AMT drivers ... reverting back a version & hiding future driver updates for those drivers ... until some idyllic future date when working drivers arrive [ and Arthur returns to rule at Camelot :) ... ]

So: if the newer (system-wrecker) drivers get installed by Windows Update at some point, you'll want to use that Microsoft handy-dandy tool to hide the driver updates for those two. (The step-by-step details are still over in that #5 post here)...

100 mph winds!!! (seems like a tornado/hurricane strength without the clouds!) Remind me not to go for a nice country stroll on that bridge if I'm up roaming about in N.E. Scotland ....

... and thanks again for the CCleaner tips.

I think it must have been the Broadcom SM Bus Controller driver that was causing my sleep function not to operate. I've just checked my Intel Engine Management Interface driver and I have version 11.0.0.1176 (which Microsoft tell me is that latest suitable driver for this operation) and with that in place, sleep works OK. So to date, the 'system wrecker' hasn't wrecked my system!

________

The 'trouble' with the Tay Bridge is if you get onto it by mistake (which is easy done from the Dundee side of the bridge because of the complex road system) it's a 4 mile 'round trip' to get back to where you went wrong! See: Google Map

Glad you mentioned that your latest version 11 driver for the Intel Management Engine is working OK ... if anyone else has been having the issue, they'll know that at least on some systems, the new driver is OK (and might point folks to have a look at any Broadcom drivers they have).

We could make up an extra verse including the Tay Bridge for the old song "The Road and the Miles to Dundee" ... :)

Glad you mentioned that your latest version 11 driver for the Intel Management Engine is working OK ... if anyone else has been having the issue, they'll know that at least on some systems, the new driver is OK (and might point folks to have a look at any Broadcom drivers they have).

We could make up an extra verse including the Tay Bridge for the old song "The Road and the Miles to Dundee" ... :)

One of 'problems' of going back to a previous image is that some recent applications have to be re-installed. That's OK unless the application vendor thinks your trying to install the app on a second (or even third PC) when your not! WinZip Driver Updater is a case in point. Since I only downloaded / installed it a couple of weeks ago, I had to re-install it. The Licence Key I was originally given didn't work - instead I got a message saying I had to contact WinZip to purchase an additional licence.

I managed to persuade WinZip support to re-set their database so that I could use the original licence - but that meant a two-day delay. WinZip are about the fourth company I've had to get to re-set licence databases over the past couple of years. Why they can't 'interrogate' your PC Chip's unique number (in the same way as Microsoft do) beats me. If we can bring a rocket back from space and land it the right way up (a la SpaceX) they should be able to do that little job!

When I got WinZip Driver Updater working again, it advise me that there was an update available. Having downloaded that, I ran it again and low & behold, it told me that I had five driver sets needing updating! I cautiously updated them. Fortunately, none of them screwed up anything else - as far as I can tell so far.

________

No much wind here today (not much sun either) so you'd be OK walking across Tay Bridge. At least as a pedestrian, you don't have to walk all the ways across before coming back!

Back