Suspected Keyboard Software Issue

rasilsoh

I recently bought an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15, I've had it for about a year now.

Around September my e, g, h and - keys would randomly stop working when I booted up the laptop. I would restart the laptop and at first that was enough to get them working again, however this problem has since progressively gotten worse.

At this point the keys do not come on at all despite multiple factory resets as well as uninstalling the keyboard drivers multiple times. External keyboards as well as the on-screen keyboards work fine but the laptop keyboard doesn't. I suspect this is a software issue and not a hardware thing b/c all four keys all go out at the same time and previously when they would occasionally work, until I turned the computer off I could use the keys as much as I wanted and there were no signs of malfunction.

Does anyone have any recommendations for things I can move forward?

**Update** I saw somewhere to run sfc /scannow on powershell, this is what it returned so more evidence it is actually a software issue

Code:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I'm not really sure what to do with this information though

External keyboards as well as the on-screen keyboards work fine but the laptop keyboard doesn't.
This tells us that it's more than likely the keyboard.
sfc /scannow on powershell, this is what it returned so more evidence it is actually a software issue
This doesn't have anything to do with your keyboard issue.

despite multiple factory resets as well as uninstalling the keyboard drivers multiple times
this pretty much rules out software issues

If you are comfortable with taking the laptop apart: Amazon.com

If not, I'd take to a local shop.

If it's still under warranty, contact the seller.

I have seen cases with brand new notebook hardware, that internal keyboards did not work in the Setup screen or in Bitlocker but later in the installed Windows. But this was always a total failure. The same even more often for touchpads.
So it could be a software issue, if the keyboard is still responding on Bios level - open Bios, navigate in Bios, enter strings in fields like owner or password (some business Notebook Bios versions have also a tool to check the keyboard key by key).

Is reinstalling Windows or swapping the system SSD temporary against an empty one and install on that an option to have a clean Windows for testing?
Or boot from an installation stick, open the command prompt from the Setup screen (Shift + F10) and run keyboard tests there or in notepad.exe.

But since you mentioned only some keys not working the case of something broken on the keyboard board is very possible.

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Last edited:
Back