[SOLVED] BSOD c000021a, no dump - Windows 7 x64

I don't think I ever said there wasn't?

A repair should be attempted with the OS disc first, and if it fails, a reinstall is the only remaining option.

I'm not sure why I need to keep conveying this.
Sorry Patrick! My reply was for the OP. I know you know the difference! However, I'm not sure the OP knows the difference. The way the OP was replying is why I replied to this thread. Attempting a repair isn't a big deal. Didn't mean to step on your toes. A repair attempt is always the first place to start. I agree 100% with your reply. I will now back out.
My link explains that really well. Now I will back out and watch this thread!!:thumbsup2:

Without a dump file it's pretty much impossible.
The cause is almost certainly OS corruption, as Patrick has said, meaning the only option is a repair/clean install.
I think this sums it up really well. I don't know of any other way to fix a corrupted OS.
Repair/clean install!!

To make some update:
I didn't have much time for fixing things recently but I assembled another old pc and cloned my system 1:1 to it. I removed ESET from one of the systems as well. The one with eset crashed, the other one didn't. I applied this: Windows6.1-KB2675806-x64.msu as well, I don't know if this is relevant, but further analyze of the previous dump lead me to no where.
And the most interesting thing i just realized, my brother's pc crashed in february with the same bsod, also with eset installed
I am going to try some things this weekend.
I would be grateful if someone got some other ideas than repair or reinstall :). This system works since windows 7 beta, it is highly customized so I am not going to give up, until windows 10 comes out.

Within user-mode we have various subsystems such as WinLogon or csrss.exe (Client/Server Runtime Subsystem). When for some reason these subsystems unexpectedly cease to exist, or have any sort of problem that prevents them from running or doing their job, the OS will swap to kernel-mode.

What's the problem with this? Among many things, the subsystems I mentioned above are strictly user-mode, therefore when the OS swaps to kernel-mode, it calls a bug check as this is a big no-no as the OS cannot run without those subsystems. In your case, the subsystem that's ceasing to randomly exist due to an unhandled exception is csrss.

In 9/10 cases as I keep saying, it's OS corruption in some form or another. In rare cases, it's a different issue causing the subsystem process to crash. Since we have no dump, we can't investigate whether that's the case.

This system works since windows 7 beta, it is highly customized so I am not going to give up

Have you ever thought that this is a contributing factor to your corruption related bug check? If you've had the same OS install since W7 beta (like... 5+ years?), plus a ton of "customizations", don't you think by now there's a lot of issues?

Yes I am aware of all of this, you said some of these things more than once too :). But do you know how many issues I was able to trace and fix, because this system is so old? I am doing my very best to keep it clean and healthy. I fixed all previous BSODS and crashes without reinstal and I am not some IT genius you know. There are 129 serious problems I was able to trace and fix. I got them all documented. The only problems right now are: this crash c000021a, one sidebyside manifest error, wuhd something (paragon software driver error) and really annoying window which appears sometimes on minimizing games: "do you want to change color scheme?" (while my system is not even on 30% of resources), but someone said that this is aero bottleneck. The other problems are minor and I will fix them when I got day off, but to fix the aero one, I tried every solution I could find, literally.

If you are curious, I cleared log once but last recorded event is dated: 08-09-2010 10:09:19

The most sad thing is that most of this irrational problems were caused by MS products (like hey, try to completely remove visual studio without installing it via revo uninstaller)

I am trying to help, that's all.

I understand you're looking for other possible solutions which is completely fine and your call, but I am trying to tell you that with this bug check, there's unfortunately no other way.

Last edited:
I don't get it why you are angry...
Yes I am looking for solutions, BUT I NOTICED what you said in your VERY FIRST post, you really don't have to keep saying the same things, I am not retarded.

In 120 out of 129 of the problems the "best" advice was to repair / reinstal. I never did. So forgive me please if I wish to keep trying with some things before I reinstal, because reinstal will be my last resort, not the first solution to try.

Again, don't get me wrong sir, I heard what you said, countless times, and I appreciate your help and your time.

This bug check in most if not all cases is caused by a critical Windows component corruption (.dll, piece of the file system, etc). 9/10 times I've seen this bug check, a repair with the OS disc was necessary, or a reformat.

But anyway, as said above, without a dump there's no way to know for sure.

That was the first post, so I don't understand why this thread is still going about solving the same issue.
There is nothing else we can do to resolve that error, especially when we can't even get a dump file. If you have any ideas then go ahead, but the solution is a reinstall.
Please don't keep reposting for a solution when it has been said multiple times.

Hi rvnlord and everyone.
I didn't read in the first post and in any of the replies if you have scanned your system for malwares/viruses.

Hello again guys,

You asked me not to repost for solution and I respect that, your community, your rules.
I just want to thank everybody who helped me and gave USEFUL ideas, useful means the ones that doesn't include repair/reinstall as the only way.

I managed to reproduce the issue on my main computer and fix it on both, without neccessity of repair/reinstall (because maybe I am not the smartest person but I am pretty sure that most of the issues can be actually solved like this).
Accidentally I figured out as well how to fix another issue with ESET HIPS system not working on encrypted machine.

And I have just checked, I still got proper crushdumps (always had), the only exception was the issue mentioned in this topic, it was the only issue that didn't produce crushdump.

Thank you again and have a great day. My system works flawlessly now.

Back