Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    i have run the scf/scannow and came up with this error, i have done alot of research on how to fix this problem, but with no progress, i am also not able to install sp1, and i have read that it might be due to the error is the cbs logs, so please let me know if u can help, i also attached the cbs logs, i hope this helps, thanks.cbs.zip


    • Ad Bot

      advertising
      Beep.

        
       

  2. #2
    AceInfinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: error C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs

    Your cbs.logs file is completely empty.
    Automation Programmer
    Microsoft MVP [2012 - 2018]

  3. #3
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: error C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs

    is that a bad thing?
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  4. #4
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    windows 7 sp1 error (data error)

    i keep getting a data error for sp1 installation, error_crc (0x80070017) can anyone please help me with this or tell me what the problem is and tell me how i can go about fixing this please and thank you.
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  5. #5
    AceInfinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: error C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs

    Are you sure this is the contents of your CBS.log? Run this in cmd prompt:
    Code:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\desktop\cbs_contents.txt
    Provide me the contents of the output. Should be on your desktop in a file called "cbs_contents.txt".

    I can't do anything without actually having information to work with though. You may want to run SFC again..

    EDIT: It is not cbs.logs, it's cbs.log
    See this filepath: %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

    In your title to this thread: "Re: error C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs"
    Last edited by AceInfinity; 03-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    jcgriff2 says thanks for this.
    Automation Programmer
    Microsoft MVP [2012 - 2018]

  6. #6
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,638
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    I merged your 2 threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    i keep getting a data error for sp1 installation, error_crc (0x80070017) can anyone please help me with this or tell me what the problem is and tell me how i can go about fixing this please and thank you.
    0x80070017 = CRC Error

    CRC = cyclic redundancy check

    The Windows 7 SP1 package you are trying to install is not what your Windows 7 OS expected. It may be corrupted or the wrong Windows 7 SP1 file.

    MS kb956704 on 0x80070017 for XP, Server 2003 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956704

    Where did you download Windows 7 SP1 from?

    2 options -
    1. Windows Update - www.update.microsoft.com
    2. Direct download from Microsoft


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2

  7. #7
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    I merged your 2 threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    i keep getting a data error for sp1 installation, error_crc (0x80070017) can anyone please help me with this or tell me what the problem is and tell me how i can go about fixing this please and thank you.
    0x80070017 = CRC Error

    CRC = cyclic redundancy check

    The Windows 7 SP1 package you are trying to install is not what your Windows 7 OS expected. It may be corrupted or the wrong Windows 7 SP1 file.

    MS kb956704 on 0x80070017 for XP, Server 2003 - Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update Web site to install updates: "0x80070017"

    Where did you download Windows 7 SP1 from?

    2 options -
    1. Windows Update - www.update.microsoft.com
    2. Direct download from Microsoft


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2

    its the windows updater its self trying to install this sp1, the windows updater on the computer.
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  8. #8
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    i got the contents of the cbs there is nothing in there at all, so i dont think there is a problem there, if it is connected to the reason y the sp1 is not working. i dont know, i am really good at this most of the time, but never had this problem before. but like i said there is nothing in the cbs log at all, so that mean there is not problem?
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  9. #9
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,638
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Hi -

    The CBS log should not be empty. Please get a listing of the CBS log(s) -

    Bring up an Admin CMD prompt -
    START | type cmd | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | "Run as Administrator" | paste -
    Code:
    dir c:\Windows\Logs\CBS >0 & start notepad 0
    A Notepad will open with the dir listing.


    How many Windows Updates do you currently have installed?

    Run this WMI command to get a list of Windows Updates/ Hotfixes -

    Bring up an elevated Admin CMD prompt - same as above -
    START | type cmd | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | "Run as Administrator" | paste -
    Code:
    wmic qfe list full /format:htable  > 0.html & start 0.html
    It may take a few seconds to run.

    From: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...html#post24005


    How much free space do you have on OS drive c: ?

    Run chkdsk /r

    Download this batch file (from kb956704) - extract the batch file & save to Documents -

    http://www.sysnative.com/apps/jcgrif...sta_W7.bat.zip

    RIGHT-click on the bat file, "Run as Administrator"

    Contents of batch file:
    Read More:


    Download Windows 7 SP1 again. Go through Windows Updates first -

    www.update.microsoft.com

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2

  10. #10
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


    C:\Windows\system32>dir c:\Windows\Logs\CBS >0 & start notepad 0


    C:\Windows\system32>wmic qfe list full /format:htable > 0.html & start 0.html
    No Instance(s) Available.


    C:\Windows\system32>


    that is what i got from the second cmd prompt and this is what was in the first,

    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is AE3A-BF9E


    Directory of c:\Windows\Logs\CBS


    03/09/2013 09:22 PM <DIR> .
    03/09/2013 09:22 PM <DIR> ..
    03/10/2013 01:22 AM 10,852,306 CBS.log
    03/09/2013 12:16 AM 0 cbs.logs
    03/06/2013 07:35 AM 1,855,179 CbsPersist_20130306124851.cab
    03/06/2013 09:26 PM 527,638 CbsPersist_20130307171218.cab
    03/07/2013 03:09 PM 559,360 CbsPersist_20130307202617.cab
    03/07/2013 07:33 PM 816,489 CbsPersist_20130308042449.cab
    03/09/2013 09:17 PM 673,768 CbsPersist_20130310022237.cab
    03/09/2013 10:31 PM 222 FilterList.log
    8 File(s) 15,284,962 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 14,390,095,872 bytes free

    i have 13.3 gb free in my c:

    thing it does not have enough free space?
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  11. #11
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    the update failed again, but this time with a different code: 80070002
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  12. #12
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,638
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post

    C:\Windows\system32>wmic qfe list full /format:htable > 0.html & start 0.html
    No Instance(s) Available.
    That indicates that you have -0- Windows Updates installed, which should not be.

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post

    that is what i got from the second cmd prompt and this is what was in the first,

    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is AE3A-BF9E

    Directory of c:\Windows\Logs\CBS

    03/09/2013 09:22 PM <DIR> .
    03/09/2013 09:22 PM <DIR> ..
    03/10/2013 01:22 AM 10,852,306 CBS.log
    03/09/2013 12:16 AM 0 cbs.logs
    03/06/2013 07:35 AM 1,855,179 CbsPersist_20130306124851.cab
    03/06/2013 09:26 PM 527,638 CbsPersist_20130307171218.cab
    03/07/2013 03:09 PM 559,360 CbsPersist_20130307202617.cab
    03/07/2013 07:33 PM 816,489 CbsPersist_20130308042449.cab
    03/09/2013 09:17 PM 673,768 CbsPersist_20130310022237.cab
    03/09/2013 10:31 PM 222 FilterList.log
    8 File(s) 15,284,962 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 14,390,095,872 bytes free

    i have 13.3 gb free in my c:

    thing it does not have enough free space?
    Free space is not a problem here. You do have ~14 GB free.

    The CBS log is there - in RED.

    Is Windows activated & validated?

    This will take you directly into validation -

    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2

  13. #13
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    my windows is active i checked it, and i already have the security software already, so i guess i have a problem not heard of, or that we dont know about yet. anything else you can think of that might help figure out this problem?
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  14. #14
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    and thank you so much for helping me, i am glad i joined this site, i will be donating as soon as possible to keep it open..
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  15. #15
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    i have another question is this right microsoft SQL server 2005 compact edition [ENU]?
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  16. #16
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,638
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    my windows is active i checked it, and i already have the security software already, so i guess i have a problem not heard of, or that we dont know about yet. anything else you can think of that might help figure out this problem?
    Please run - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/show...ws-7-amp-Vista

    Attach zipped folder to your next post.

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    and thank you so much for helping me, i am glad i joined this site, i will be donating as soon as possible to keep it open..
    Thank you, but please know that donations are not mandatory, nor do they determine whether/ quality of help we provide.

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    i have another question is this right microsoft SQL server 2005 compact edition [ENU]?
    Please see - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920700
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8861

  17. #17
    niemiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Hello :)

    Can we have another attempt at getting the CBS logs, please?

    Right click on C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ folder > Copy.

    Now right click > Paste on your Desktop.

    Now a new CBS folder will be created on your Desktop. Right click on it again, Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

    Now a new file CBS(.zip) will be created on your Desktop. Please upload it just like you did in your first post.

    Thank you!

    Richard

  18. #18
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
    Hello :)

    Can we have another attempt at getting the CBS logs, please?

    Right click on C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ folder > Copy.

    Now right click > Paste on your Desktop.

    Now a new CBS folder will be created on your Desktop. Right click on it again, Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

    Now a new file CBS(.zip) will be created on your Desktop. Please upload it just like you did in your first post.

    Thank you!

    Richard
    i have already done that and sent the cbs log here, and they told me there was nothing in it, but here s the cbs folder with everything inside it..
    niemiro says thanks for this.
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



  19. #19
    niemiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
    Hello :)

    Can we have another attempt at getting the CBS logs, please?

    Right click on C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ folder > Copy.

    Now right click > Paste on your Desktop.

    Now a new CBS folder will be created on your Desktop. Right click on it again, Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

    Now a new file CBS(.zip) will be created on your Desktop. Please upload it just like you did in your first post.

    Thank you!

    Richard
    i have already done that and sent the cbs log here, and they told me there was nothing in it
    Basically, something went wrong in the uploading process last time. It could potentially have been an internet blip, etc. etc.

    Whatever the cause, the dir command that jcgriff2 made you run shows that there is data in the CBS folder. Therefore, I want another try at getting access to it.

    So, can you please have another go at carefully following the instructions and hopefully we will get lucky this time :)

    Richard

  20. #20
    bookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    alexander city
    Age
    31
    Posts
    44
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        PC
      • Model Number:
        Dell Inspiron 8600
      • Operating System:
        window 7 home premium

    Re: windows 7 sp1 error (data error) 0x80070017

    Quote Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
    Hello :)

    Can we have another attempt at getting the CBS logs, please?

    Right click on C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ folder > Copy.

    Now right click > Paste on your Desktop.

    Now a new CBS folder will be created on your Desktop. Right click on it again, Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

    Now a new file CBS(.zip) will be created on your Desktop. Please upload it just like you did in your first post.

    Thank you!

    Richard
    i have already done that and sent the cbs log here, and they told me there was nothing in it
    Basically, something went wrong in the uploading process last time. It could potentially have been an internet blip, etc. etc.

    Whatever the cause, the dir command that jcgriff2 made you run shows that there is data in the CBS folder. Therefore, I want another try at getting access to it.

    So, can you please have another go at carefully following the instructions and hopefully we will get lucky this time :)

    Richard
    edited the last post i made and inserted the cbs folder. please have a look. thank you
    no matter how much we know, we still dont know everything. I AM HAVING A LITTLE GIRL! CONGRATZ TO ME <3 YAY!!



Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Getting 80073712 error trying to install SP1
    By Ztruker in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
  2. Windows 7 SP1 update error 80073712
    By Jack Chau in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Windows Vista SP1 Won't Install - Error 800B0100
    By stu3796 in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
  4. [SOLVED] Windows 7 64 bit SP1, Windows Update not working Error 0x80070002
    By Matty in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Log in

Log in