Windows Update for Vista Question

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just posted about my CBS log problems but thought I would ask some questions about Vista while I'm here. I just updated Windows, and the update was (copied and pasted from my Windows Update):

"Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 3 for x64-based Systems (KB2721691)
    Installation date: ‎25/‎08/‎2012 2:13 PM
    Installation status: Successful
    Update type: Important
    A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

My question is, I have Vista Home Premium SP2, 64-bit, and I'm wondering about the Service Pack 3 mention in the update. Also, can Vista SP2 be upgraded to SP3? It doesn't seem so because from the information I've gathered on the internet, there is no SP3 in Vista. I guess my question is should I have installed this item on my computer? Weirdly, Secunia had alerted me that the same xml Core Svcs needed updating yesterday, and after several hours, it finally did update for me. Also, since my computer is Vista SP2, is this OS coming to an end, or can I use my computer indefinitely? I actually have liked Vista quite a lot.

Thank you, Dianne

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        GZ Technologies LLC
      • Model Number:
        Phenom-INAL
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS M5A97-EVO
      • CPU:
        AMD PhenomII x6 (1100T)
      • Memory:
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X blu PC3-12800
      • Graphics:
        XFX Radeon HD6770
      • Sound Card:
        Realtek ALC892
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB WD Caviar Black / 1TB WD Caviar Black / 1TB Seagate / 500GB Hitachi
      • Disk Drives:
        HP DVD 1270i SATA DVD RW
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair 850TX
      • Case:
        Antec 300
      • Cooling:
        Coolermaster V8 / 2x 12CM intake / 1x 12CM rear exhaust / 1x 14CM top exhaust
      • Display:
        Acer 23in 1920x1080 / Acer 20in
      • Operating System:
        Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64

Re: Windows Update for Vista Question

Hello dee_can,

The latest Service Pack release for Vista is SP2... The "SP3" in the update is referring to XML Core Services 4.0 only.

As for using Vista, you will be able to use it as long as you would like, or as long as the hardware lasts. Vista Support coming to an end means that Microsoft will not be releasing any more security or software updates for Vista. It also means that hardware support for Vista (drivers, etc) will be harder to find with newer hardware. Eventually you will have to move to a newer O.S. to take advantage of new features and new specifications, standards and security.

"Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Hi, Dianne.

Although we are a minority, I also like Windows Vista. (It is a Windows Vista computer I was referring to in your topic at LzD -- recovered now with the advice of the knowledgeable people here, although I've now switched to my Windows 7 laptop as my primary machine.)

From Microsoft Product Lifecycle, the Extended Support End Date for Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition is 4/11/2017. Microsoft will continue to provide security updates through the end of the Extended Support date.
    GZ says thanks for this.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
    May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        GZ Technologies LLC
      • Model Number:
        Phenom-INAL
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS M5A97-EVO
      • CPU:
        AMD PhenomII x6 (1100T)
      • Memory:
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X blu PC3-12800
      • Graphics:
        XFX Radeon HD6770
      • Sound Card:
        Realtek ALC892
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB WD Caviar Black / 1TB WD Caviar Black / 1TB Seagate / 500GB Hitachi
      • Disk Drives:
        HP DVD 1270i SATA DVD RW
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair 850TX
      • Case:
        Antec 300
      • Cooling:
        Coolermaster V8 / 2x 12CM intake / 1x 12CM rear exhaust / 1x 14CM top exhaust
      • Display:
        Acer 23in 1920x1080 / Acer 20in
      • Operating System:
        Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64

Thanks Corrine! I wasn't sure of the exact EOS dates!

"Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

GZ, thanks for clarifying for me re: the SP3 in the update. I just wanted to be sure. And thanks Corrine. Then it looks like I have until 2017 to make a decision. ha So you were having the hardware issues with your Vista computer then... I don't think I've had any hardware issues yet with mine. It's just now that I'm running into the problems which sent me to LandzDown and this forum, but I have no idea whether these issues have anything to do with Vista, itself, or just my software programs.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to Windows 8 after it comes out, if this is possible. I'm not sure whether it's a good idea, or what the general consensus is on Windows 8.

Windows 7 is closer in look and feel to Windows Vista than Windows 8. It seems there is either a love it or hate it reaction to Windows 8. Adjusting to the changes will take some time, but those who have given it a chance do like Windows 8.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
    May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Thanks Corrine. If I do decide to upgrade, maybe I'll try Windows 7 first. But, I'll do some more research before I make a decision.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        ASUS/Lenovo
      • Model Number:
        K52F/B80
      • Motherboard:
        Asus K52F/??
      • CPU:
        i3 - 370/i7-6500U
      • Memory:
        8GB/8GB
      • Hard Drives:
        750GB/1TB
      • Operating System:
        Win 7 Home Premium (+ sundry VMs)/Win 10 & VMs

You can think of Win 7 basically as Vista on steroids - and Win 8 as Vista on LSD :)
    jcgriff2 says thanks for this.

Noel Paton - Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
    You can think of Win 7 basically as Vista on steroids - and Win 8 as Vista on LSD :)

Thanks for the laugh. I think I prefer steroids right now.