Page 2 of 2 First 12

Re: Help w/ corrupt files caused by Windows update

Although the Repair button was shown as an option, it was actually locked. Probably for the reason you indicated in that it is not a Western Digital Drive. Do you have any idea as to whether there is another software program out there that might be used to do the repair? Thanks

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Moderator, Windows Update
    Security Analyst
    Windows Update Senior Analyst

Without a tool provided by the drive manufacturer I think only writing zeros on all the sectors of the drive (overwriting the data) will force the drive firmware to try "replacing the bad sectors" by relocating them using spare sectors on the drive (if available).

One free tool that you can try is Macrorit Disk Scanner Check Hard Disk for Bad Sectors | Scan Disk on Windows

I'm not sure if the tool will try to reallocate the bad sectors but it should at least mark them so the Operating System will not use them.

I ran the Macrorit program and it identified the one problem sector but am not clear as to whether it marked them so that the OS won't use them or if it tried to reallocate them. Couldn't really see any options that would allow me to direct it to do one or the other. Just seems to perform the scan and show the 'bad sector' in red in its graphic once scan is completed. I'll attach what it indicated so you can give me your thoughts.

Also, wanted to let you know that after running the Macrorit program, I rebooted the laptop and it automatically went into CHKDSK application for a few minutes prior to Windows 7 booting up. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help w/ corrupt files caused by Windows update-hd-space-png   Help w/ corrupt files caused by Windows update-macrorit-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forgot to include in above post that timing of initial problem (started back in 2015 after failed Windows update installation) leads me to believe that not a physical issue w/ HD but rather a software issue that leads to sector being marked bad as a result of the failed update. That said, I can't attest to viability of the below utility (see link) but thought I would list it here for you to take a look at. I found it via just doing a general search for 'bad sector repair tools'. Am hoping that you are aware of one that has a good reputation though. This particular one does offer 1 sector repair for free (which is all Macrorit indicated was bad) but I know nothing as to its quality. Hopefully, it is okay to post these as I didn't see anything in the rules area indicating that it is a problem. If it is, just let me know. Thanks.

HDD Test and Diagnostic Software | Bad Sectors Fix & Repair Tools for Windows (The HDDRegenerator tool)

HDD Regenerator - Dmitriy Primochenko Online

ignore as deleting double post

Moderator, Windows Update
    Security Analyst
    Windows Update Senior Analyst

Hi,

Lets check what the program did...

From a command prompt running as Administrator type:
    chkdsk c:
    please post the result as text or image.

Page 2 of 2 First 12