Unhappy Could not search or install updates - Error Code 8000FFFF (Win 7 Enterprise SP1 x64)

Hi, I have NOT been able to update my Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit for almost 3 years... Previously, Windows would download and attempt to install the same updates repeatedly, and failed repeatedly. Only 'some' MS Office updates were installed successfully. (I've lived with this issue for so long because it's a desktop PC and I wasn't home a lot.)

Recently, I noticed that the issue has gotten even worse. Somehow, Windows Update was turned off and could not even be turned on. I tried the official tool "Windows Update Troubleshooter" and was able to turn it back on again. However, when I search for updates, I keep getting the same Error Code 8000FFFF. The message says "Windows could not search for new updates" and "An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer."

Interestingly, the Update icon appeared on the taskbar anyway and was downloading updates. However, only a bunch of Office updates got installed successfully. The rest all failed. The Update icon has since disappeared.

So this is where I am now. After trying several other solutions on the Internet, the issue remains. I still cannot check or install any updates, except I got many MS Office updates installed successfully in the process.

I'm fed up with this issue. Hopefully I can finally resolve this issue, with your help. Many thanks in advance!

Windows Update Troubleshooter reports this error code: 0x80070057
    Root Cause: RC_DataStore

------------------
    I ran SFCFix and nothing was found:

SFCFix version 3.0.1.0 by niemiro.
    Start time: 2019-01-05 02:39:23.780
    Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
    Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
    SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
    AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.

Failed to generate a complete zip file. Upload aborted.

SFCFix version 3.0.1.0 by niemiro has completed.
    Currently storing 0 datablocks.
    Finish time: 2019-01-05 02:54:12.677
    ----------------------EOF-----------------------

CBS Logfiles
    https://www.datafilehost.com/d/af4df81d

CheckSURLog.cab
    Download CheckSURLog.cab

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

Re: Could not search or install updates - Error Code 8000FFFF (Win 7 Enterprise SP1 x

Hello and welcome!

Please install this and retry updates: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...7d4f9bbb2f.msu

Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

Re: Could not search or install updates - Error Code 8000FFFF (Win 7 Enterprise SP1 x

Hi Softwaremaniac, thanks so much for the reply! So I downloaded it, but it could not be installed. It says, "The update is not applicable to your computer"

Actually, I have tried this KB3177467 fix before I posted here. It always says the update is not applicable. Would doing a clean boot help?

BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Graphics:
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
      • Disk Drives:
      • Power Supply:
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

No, it would not:

Step#1 - Capture Process Monitor Trace
    1. Download and run Process Monitor. Leave this running while you perform the next steps.
    2. Try searching for updates just like you have in the past.
    3. Stop Process Monitor as soon as it fails. You can simply do this by clicking the magnifying glass on the toolbar as shown below.

4. Select the File menu...Save... and save the file to your desktop. This is likely the default location. The name (unless changed) will be LogFile.PML. This is fine.
    5. Zip up and attach the LogFile.PML file as well as your CBS.log

Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

Hi Softwaremaniac, very sorry for the terrible delay. Life was getting in the way...

So I tried something on my own before your last reply. I did not expect it to work, but surprisingly, my issue has improved greatly as a result. But it's still not fully resolved.

I can now search for updates (although searching can take a long time). And I was even able to install almost all Security Updates successfully, Except the latest one (2019-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4480970) with the same error code 8000FFFF repeatedly.

Here's what I did which improved the issue:
    I rebooted and pressed F8 to enter the repair console. Then I deleted this file:
    del f:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
    del x:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
    (Note: In my case, the assigned drive letter was changed from C: to F: in repair console. I guess it depends on how many drives and partitions you have.)

Then I ran:
    sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=f:\Windows
    sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=f:\ /OFFWINDIR=f:\Windows (just in case)

Then I rebooted back to Windows. And I was able to search for updates and install them. (I also noticed Windows Defender and Action Center started working too. I didn't even realize that they were not working before. SFC seemed to have fixed a lot things for me.)

I tried this only because previously I was not able to run the SFC command in Windows. I would always get this Repair Pending error message even after restarting:
    There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

Btw, I found the solution here (3rd post from the bottom):
    There Is System Repair Pending Which Requires Reboot To Complete. Restart Windows And Run SFC Again

I'm trying to attach the LogFile.PML file you asked earlier. However, exporting/saving the file takes more than 2 hours. Is this normal? I did stop as soon as the update fails. I will upload it along with CBS.log after it finishes.

I'm not sure if what I did will change how we approach this issue. Please let me know what you think and If I need to do anything differently. I apologize for the delay once again. Thank you so much!

BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Graphics:
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
      • Disk Drives:
      • Power Supply:
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

I'm glad to see improvement. Please attempt KB4480970 with ProcMon and attach CBS.log and provide LogFile.PML file.

Here's the link to CBS.log and LogFile.PML:

Win Update Fix - Google Drive

Note: I had trouble saving and uploading LogFile.PML because it is huge. After multiple attempts, I managed to keep it under 3 GB in size. I had to run ProcMon only after Windows Update finished downloading KB4480970 and began creating a restore point. If I start ProcMon right after clicking the "Try again" or "Install Updates" button, LogFile.PML will be more than 10 GB...

Is this normal?

Thankfully, Google Drive allows such a huge file to upload.

Please let me know if you need me to do anything else or anything differently. Thanks again!

Ben

BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Graphics:
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
      • Disk Drives:
      • Power Supply:
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

You have done something incorrectly as I cannot even open the ProcMon logfile.

As for the size, yes, it is normal, but you can zip it. Actually, I would prefer it that way :)