OEM's and AV

Hi, looks like the money to be made from the nasties industry goes on, these guy's give drug dealers a good name.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...rs-vulnerable/

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Sony VAIO - laptop
      • Model Number:
        VPCEB47GM
      • Motherboard:
        Sony Corporation VAIO (N/A)
      • CPU:
        Intl Core i5 | 2.67GHz | 32nm Technology
      • Memory:
        8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD 3000
      • Sound Card:
        Realtek High Definition
      • Hard Drives:
        640GB SAMSUNG HM641JI (SATA)
      • Disk Drives:
        Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H
      • Operating System:
        Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Re: OEM's and AV

It's kinda like the stink the European Union made when Microsoft included Internet Explorer as the default browser. In late 2009, Microsoft struck a deal with EU antitrust regulators that required the company to display a screen in Windows providing download links to other browsers, including Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome and Opera Software's Opera. Doesn't surprise me at all that third party AV companies would complain about MS bundling their own free AV into their own operating system. Cuts into potential profits, donchasee.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        ASUS/Lenovo
      • Model Number:
        K52F/B80
      • Motherboard:
        Asus K52F/??
      • CPU:
        i3 - 370/i7-6500U
      • Memory:
        8GB/8GB
      • Hard Drives:
        750GB/1TB
      • Operating System:
        Win 7 Home Premium (+ sundry VMs)/Win 10 & VMs

Quote Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
    It's kinda like the stink the European Union made when Microsoft included Internet Explorer as the default browser. In late 2009, Microsoft struck a deal with EU antitrust regulators that required the company to display a screen in Windows providing download links to other browsers, including Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome and Opera Software's Opera. Doesn't surprise me at all that third party AV companies would complain about MS bundling their own free AV into their own operating system. Cuts into potential profits, donchasee.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say - Anti-Trust in the US and the Monoploies laws in Europe pretty much rule out any non-core service being mandatory installation nowadays.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this.

About the only surprising thing is that the OEM's aren't allowed to completely rip it out so that the detection apparatus goes as well (so the lack of updates keeps getting ignored, and the OEM can rake in more kick-backs when they sell punters a new AV after they phone for [paid] assistance with their virus-laden machines and get told to use Recovery, and install this shiny new wonder-product AV at only $$$$ per seat per year,,,, 'and we can also extend your sofware warranty for another $$$$'!).
    marsmimar says thanks for this.

Noel Paton - Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Well, while this stinks on the surface of it, anyone doing a clean install (whether as an upgrade or removing bloatware from an OEM image....) will get defender enabled.

I am glad to see that defender would get enabled if the trialware AV that gets installed goes out of trial mode and isn't purchased, but I suppose that depends on if the AV installed reports (properly) that it is no longer protecting the machine or not. Here's hoping, but I guess plan for the worst and hope for the best is in order here.
    MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8