Windows could not connect to User Profile or Event Viewer Notification Services

Win 7 SP1 x64

I thought I had a corrupt profile because I get "create your desktop" on login.
    None of the profile or AD repair steps worked.

Seems service related.

I created a 2nd profile, same symptom.

If I log in, let everything fail (I get a bare new desktop and notifications "Windows Could not connect to User Profile Service" and "Windows Could not Connect to System Event Notification Service), then log out, I can log in to either profile and everything works perfectly.

Ran MalwareBytes (from safe mode) - no warnings.

Cannot do a system restore because for some reason it was off (?!?!). I did run system repair from the ERD and no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help - you all are a great resource.

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Re: Windows could not connect to User Profile or Event Viewer Notification Services

I recommend trying the steps in the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-error-message
    I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder.

Re: Windows could not connect to User Profile or Event Viewer Notification Services

Quote Originally Posted by dmccoy View Post
    I recommend trying the steps in the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-error-message

My apologies. I forgot to mention I'd tried these steps in that KB.

For step 1, there were no .bak entries, and resetting RefCount etc had no impact
    For step 2 doesn't apply as I was able to create a new bare admin account that exhibited the same problems, the issue isn't isolated to one login, therefore it isn't a SID corruption issue
    For step 3 I did create a fresh new profile that exhibits the same problems (on first log in only, see below).

It seems to be services related, like the user login and event services aren't starting promptly. I checked they are both set to Automatic.

The symptoms are:
    - first login with either account gets the error message, and a bare desktop ("creating desktop....")
    - log off that account, then second login with the other or same account works fine (presumably services have started up by then)

Basically the 2nd login from cold boot with either account is always successful.

Just now, I was able to cold boot and log in first time, no issues, though this has only happened once in the last week.

Okay, then I would try a repair install as the next step.

In-Place Upgrade Install Windows (Windows 7 / Vista)
    I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder.

Well this is weird, after 2-3 weeks, the issue has resolved itself. I am wondering it is a symptom of a dying SSD. I have everything backed up and system restore is now on.