[7SP1HomePre x64] Can't delete MS security client file after uninstalling MS security

Happy New Years forum I have been struggling with a pesky file that won't delete in the program data folder and in the registry . After uninstalling microsoft security antimalware and returning back to avast antivirus software which is much faster and less resources usage this folder fights me from me deleting it Here is what I've tried so far. Using the revo uninstaller , microsoft security uninstaller tool , tried every method I know on how to take permissions of the file and also use the right click ownership method all has failed. and finally stop it from running in the background because I could not disable it from the service so I disable it from the registry hkey local machine/system/control set/sevices/ msmpsvc/ and change the start value to 4 and that disable the service but still cannot delete the file. Input from the forum will be appreciated greatly and thanks for your generous help.

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Re: cannot delete microsoft security client file after uninstalling microsoft securi

Are you positive you aren't trying to remove something that is part of Windows?
    Windows Defender is built into every Windows version from Windows 7 forward.

In Windows 8.1 and 10 Windows Defender is actually what was known as MS Security Essentials in Windows 7.

Since I have zero experience with 8.1 and 10, I'll simply state what I know about Windows 7. When another security program is installed, Windows Defender gets disabled.

Is this program interfering with Avast in any way? If not, don't worry about it.

Re: cannot delete microsoft security client file after uninstalling microsoft securi

Thanks for your speedily response no it is not interfering with anything except my mind Lol. Now I have two windows 7 laptop one 64 bit and the other 32 bit on the 64 bit I deleted everything except the windows data folder which keeps telling me you require permission from administrator to make changed to this folder and when I change the permissions to everybody then the message switch to I need permissions from everybody and the loop continue saying I need permissions from whoever that I changed permissions to. The 32 bit I cannot delete that folder nor can I delete the software in the registry. on the 64 bit it is deleted in the registry.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        BrightWorks Systems
      • Model Number:
        BWS-6 E-IV
      • Motherboard:
        Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake Pushed to 3.9GHz
      • Memory:
        2 X 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Graphics:
        EVGA GeForce GTX 1050TI 04G-P4-6251-KR, 4GB GDDR5
      • Sound Card:
        Integrated
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Blu-ray R/W
      • Power Supply:
        EVGA Supernova 550W Gold
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower w/Window
      • Cooling:
        2 x 140mm case fans, OEM CPU Cooler
      • Display:
        2 x Samsung S24E650BW 24 inch WS
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

I have been struggling with a pesky file that won't delete in the program data folder and in the registry .
    I think you are asking for trouble dinking with the Registry without a clear understanding of what's happening.

I recommend you reinstall MSE, reboot, then attempt to uninstall it again via the Control Panel applet.

See also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-0-1963-if-yo

And FTR, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a separate download for Windows 7. It is not built in. But its sibling, Windows Defender, is built into W8 and W10.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

Digerati you are on point and I am rewarded by your guidance today. I performed the tasks that you recommended and now there is no trace of the file or in the registry at all. I was able to delete the files and the software in the registry and the computers are all good and clean. Thanks a lots because not being able to perform the tasks was aggravating me to no end , so you ease my frustrations, and kudos to Digerati and plodr for their wonderful help. Kudo
    Corrine says thanks for this.