Page 2 of 2 First 12

Re: High DPC Latency

I'm not certain I can trust what I'm seeing. It looks to me as if the dxgkrnl.sys calls to an ISR are regularly exceeding the recommended upper limit of 25 microseconds. The average is 1.5 milliseconds which is not good for overall performance but I see quite a few exceeding 22 milliseconds which would cause audio glitches. One was even 90 milliseconds which is an incredibly long time for an ISR. The above is all happening on core 0 which is where most (if not all) of the audio processing is done.

ISRs can be interrupted by higher priority ISRs but I don't see evidence of that happening. It makes me think the new GPU has a hardware problem.

There is also a span where atapi.sys takes a long time but it's happening on core 1 so shouldn't be interfering with audio playback.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if capturing the trace is causing some of what I'm seeing. It does have an impact on performance and, if there are not a lot of resources to spare, can actually cause problems during the trace the system wouldn't experience normally. Such as running out of physical memory and hitting the pagefile more frequently.

Did you replace the GPU because you were having problems with the old one?

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Hardware Problem? I was really careful when taking the GPU out of the box and everything, but I didn't do a visual check to see if everything was fine. I will probably check the GPU carefully and closely. But, if it was a hardware problem, then why do the audio issues (and the latency from dxgkrnl.sys and all the others ) vanish when the Nvidia Drivers are uninstalled? No! My nvidia geforce 210 was working perfectly fine! Just wanted a little upgrade haha!

Should I do another ETL test with Nvidia drivers uninstalled (because that makes the problem dissapear) and send it to you?

I've seen GPUs have problems while doing certain things and not others. My guess would be Chrome is using the GPU for hardware acceleration which is using features of the GPU which don't get used for normal desktop functions. It might be helpful to see how the system behaves without the Nvidia drivers so please do make a 15 second trace of playing a video in Chrome with the drivers uninstalled - whether or not it has any audio glitches.

Sure! Give me a couple of minutes!

Here is the link to the compressed general.etl file!

Test 2, Without Nvidia drivers, while watching youtube video, no audio issues and no latency at all. I took a screenshot of LatencyMon so you could see the difference.
    general2.rar - Google Drive
    High DPC Latency-capture-png

I got it, thank you. I'll have a closer look but a quick glance shows a much better story as far as ISRs and DPCs. Does device manager show a generic display adapter rather than an Nvidia adapter under the "Display adapters" node?

You're Welcome!
    Device manager shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" under the "Display adapters" node.

Okay. So that basically means no hardware acceleration at all from the GPU. Everything is done in software and the videocard is just displaying what gets rendered by the CPU. Which explains why the poor CPU is pegged at 100 percent through the whole trace. That would lend credence to the idea of a faulty GPU. Would it be too much trouble to install the old GPU, install a Nvidia driver, and get a trace with a video playing in that system configuration?

No problem! Just that it will be tomorrow since i'm a little busy right now. I'll also do a visual check on the GPU to see if there is something unusual and will let you know!

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Page 2 of 2 First 12