What exactly is hard pagefault resolution time/ count? Is it normal to be high?

What exactly is a hard pagefault resolution and what is a hard pagefault resolution time? I've been looking around on google, is it simply when Windows retrieves data from the pagefile to the Ram?
    I have a Samsung 850 Evo SSD, yet it spikes pretty high even on idle. I have the Pagefile set to system managed and its on my SSD.
    Is this something that should be of concern to me? I have a laptop with far less impressive specs, and even when using the system (currently typing it up) Latencymon has showed a hard pagefault resolution time of 0, and 0 hard pagefaults.

Thank you

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

• specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

Re: What exactly is hard pagefault resolution time/ count? Is it normal to be high?

Hi. . .

Page faults need to get resolved immediately and any thread that hits them is suspended until the pagefault is resolved. Hitting a hard pagefault on a page file or memory mapped file that is backed on a drive that is spun down because of a power feature may interrupt a program for several seconds until it can proceed.

These threads may be of interest to you -
    - DPC latency and hard pagefault resolution - TR Forums
    - what does having a high pagefault resolution time mean? :: Hardware and Operating Systems

MSFN is one of the top forums in this very technical area - high Hard pagefault resolution time - Windows 7 - MSFN

One app that you may find very helpful is SysInternals Process Monitor (ProcMon) from Microsoft - Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs It is a stand-alone executable - nothing to install. Unzip the file; you'll find procmon.exe and a CHM (help) file. Unzip it to Desktop or Documents. RIGHT-click on procmon.exe, select "Run as Administrator". Run the mouse over the icons up top of the ProcMon screen. You want "capture" ON + "scrolling" ON.

ProcMon records every I/O whether regular files or the registry. You can summarize by directory, filename, file extension, drive; others.

ProcMon writes directly to the page file. So keep in mind that the page file will grow in size very quickly. Point being is that you don't want to leave ProcMon running for hours on end as it will cause your system to freeze in the end as virtual memory gets used up. ProcMon has a filter setting that allows you to capture only certain events, certain files, drives, etc.. - very flexible.

You should keep the page file (virtual memory) as system managed - all drives.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2