Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Hello,

    I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Task Manager. When I open it, it freezes up with a blank screen and the mouse moves slowly by itself. Most of the time I have to force a shut down.

    This happens off and on ever since upgrading to WFC. I have tried SFC /scannow and it shows no corruption. I have tried DISM.exe and all is good there.

    Any help would be appreciated.


    • Ad Bot

      advertising
      Beep.

        
       

  2. #2
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,593
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Sorry, but I don't know what to tell you about Task Manager.

    However, there is a great alternative to Task Manager - SysInternals Process Explorer, available free from Microsoft TechNet. Many of us have replaced Task Manager with Process Explorer.

    Download and unzip/extract. Nothing to install - Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

    Simply RIGHT-click on procexp.exe, select "Run as Administrator"

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    ssherjj says thanks for this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Sorry, but I don't know what to tell you about Task Manager.

    However, there is a great alternative to Task Manager - SysInternals Process Explorer, available free from Microsoft TechNet. Many of us have replaced Task Manager with Process Explorer.

    Download and unzip/extract. Nothing to install - Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

    Simply RIGHT-click on procexp.exe, select "Run as Administrator"

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    Thank you so much for the information. I'll change to SysInternals Process Explorer as you have suggested.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    softwaremaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,382
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    It would be wise to check HDDs and other HW. This is not normal behavior.
    jcgriff2 and ssherjj say thanks for this.


    Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

    Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

  5. #5
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,593
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    softwaremaniac does bring up a good point.

    Test your HDD - run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - Hard Drive Diagnostics & SSD Test

    Test RAM - memtest - Test RAM with memtest.org MemTest86+ (updated version)

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    ssherjj says thanks for this.

  6. #6
    xilolee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    World, Europe, Italy
    Posts
    2,268
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        XILOLEE.com
      • Model Number:
        XILO
      • Motherboard:
        ASROCK FM2A88M Pro3+ chipset A88X Bolton-D4
      • CPU:
        A10-7800, 4 CPU, 4 thr, 65/45W, FM2+, 28nm, Steamroller/Kaveri
      • Memory:
        10GB (Nanya and kingston ddr3-1333 9-9-9-24)
      • Graphics:
        Radeon R7 720MHz (8 GPU cores, integrated in CPU)
      • Sound Card:
        RealTek ALC662 (integrated in MB)
      • Hard Drives:
        Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB 7200RPM
      • Power Supply:
        SuperFlower 450W 80+ Platinum (SF-450P14PE)
      • Case:
        Sharkoon VG4-S
      • Cooling:
        Realtek RTL8111GR (NIC integrated in MB)
      • Display:
        Samsung SyncMaster SA100 LS22A100NS-EN
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Home/Standard x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Another nice task manager is anvir task manager free (it can be installable or portable).
    The pro version is for organizations/businesses/professional users (and those ones must buy a license).
    Scans came clean with Win10Defender, MBAM3 free, SAS free, Emsisoft emergency kit.
    But on virustotal, 7 engines marked it as suspicious and other 9 didn't scan it.
    45 marked it as clean.
    Last edited by xilolee; 12-11-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    ssherjj says thanks for this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    It would be wise to check HDDs and other HW. This is not normal behavior.
    Hi softwaremanic,

    i was getting a lot of BSODs and I sent back my Corsair set of Ram back to Corsair. The replacement is coming in soon. I just thought the memory was bad and I had a warranty on them. I haven't tested the SSDs yet....but I will. I'm really thinking of doing another clean install of Windows because I'm getting errors with Windows PowerShell (Admin) now too.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    softwaremaniac does bring up a good point.

    Test your HDD - run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - Hard Drive Diagnostics & SSD Test

    Test RAM - memtest - Test RAM with memtest.org MemTest86+ (updated version)

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    I will do these tests.

    Thank you all!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    softwaremaniac does bring up a good point.

    Test your HDD - run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - Hard Drive Diagnostics & SSD Test

    Test RAM - memtest - Test RAM with memtest.org MemTest86+ (updated version)



    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2

    Dear jcgriff2,

    Is this the only test for my SSD's. Because it shows drives to be good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator-ssdlife-png  

  10. #10
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,593
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    I don't know of any other tests for SSDs.

    A fresh install of Windows is definitely a good idea. I'd be interested to know if any of the problems you now have occur after reinstalling Windows.
    ssherjj says thanks for this.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    softwaremaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,382
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Are the drivers up-to-date? Especially the Samsung ones for optimal perfoormance of the SSD drives.
    ssherjj says thanks for this.


    Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

    Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    I don't know of any other tests for SSDs.

    A fresh install of Windows is definitely a good idea. I'd be interested to know if any of the problems you now have occur after reinstalling Windows.
    I'm finding out that this Task Manager issue could be a Webroot Antivirus problem. Others on the Webroot Forum have complained about similar issues. So I am going to uninstall Webroot to test if this is the cause. Otherwise I'll let you know either way what occurs. And if I have to do a clean reinstall.

    Thanks!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    Are the drivers up-to-date? Especially the Samsung ones for optimal perfoormance of the SSD drives.
    I've have checked all the drivers that I know of that could be updated. I'll recheck Samsung again for updated firmware/drivers.

  14. #14
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,593
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by ssherjj View Post
    I'm finding out that this Task Manager issue could be a Webroot Antivirus problem. Others on the Webroot Forum have complained about similar issues. So I am going to uninstall Webroot to test if this is the cause. Otherwise I'll let you know either way what occurs. And if I have to do a clean reinstall.

    Thanks!
    Excellent idea to remove Webroot and see what happens.

    Be sure to use the Webroot uninstaller, if available, as simply uninstalling it via Windows Control Panel may not remove all of the files -- especially boot drivers and kernel mode drivers -

    https://support.eset.com/kb146/?locale=en_US

    Quote Originally Posted by ssherjj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    Are the drivers up-to-date? Especially the Samsung ones for optimal perfoormance of the SSD drives.
    I've have checked all the drivers that I know of that could be updated. I'll recheck Samsung again for updated firmware/drivers.
    Another excellent idea - check for SSD firmware updates. *VERY IMPORTANT *

    Good luck to you.

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    Last edited by jcgriff2; 12-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    ssherjj says thanks for this.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssherjj View Post
    I'm finding out that this Task Manager issue could be a Webroot Antivirus problem. Others on the Webroot Forum have complained about similar issues. So I am going to uninstall Webroot to test if this is the cause. Otherwise I'll let you know either way what occurs. And if I have to do a clean reinstall.

    Thanks!
    Excellent idea to remove Webroot and see what happens.

    Be sure to use the Webroot uninstaller, if available, as simply uninstalling it via Windows Control Panel may not remove all of the files -- especially boot drivers and kernel mode drivers -

    https://support.eset.com/kb146/?locale=en_US

    Quote Originally Posted by ssherjj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    Are the drivers up-to-date? Especially the Samsung ones for optimal perfoormance of the SSD drives.
    I've have checked all the drivers that I know of that could be updated. I'll recheck Samsung again for updated firmware/drivers.
    Another excellent idea - check for SSD firmware updates. *VERY IMPORTANT *

    Good luck to you.

    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    Hi Jcgriff21,

    Thank you,

    I do use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Webroot if necessary. Appreciated the link though. I have been with Webroot since 2013 and I have never used that Webroot Upgrade/Cleanup tool WRUpgradeTool.exe. a This is probably off subject but I did read this on the Webroot Forum:
    WRUpgradeTool.exe is only for removing legacy versions of Webroot (Versions 7 and below).






    Now when I open the Chrome browser I haven't a problem opening Task Manager. But when I use Firefox, Task Manager freezes up my system forcing a reboot. So I am not sure why that is.

    I have looked on Microsoft help site with similar issues. Windows 10 Task Manager (not responding)? - Microsoft Community

    Now I have not been able to find any updated Firmware/drivers for my Samsung Evo 850 SSDs.

  16. #16
    Moderator
    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    softwaremaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,382
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Is it the new Firefox Quantum?


    Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

    Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    Is it the new Firefox Quantum?
    Yes it is Firefox Quantum. Have any ideas?

  18. #18
    Moderator
    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    softwaremaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,382
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Yes.

    Go to the FF Menu ≡ > help ? > troubleshooting information page and take a look in the Accessibility section if accessibility is set to "true" there.

    if yes, see if the following fixes the performance problem: go to the Firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.
    ssherjj says thanks for this.


    Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

    Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Quote Originally Posted by softwaremaniac View Post
    Yes.

    Go to the FF Menu ≡ > help ? > troubleshooting information page and take a look in the Accessibility section if accessibility is set to "true" there.

    if yes, see if the following fixes the performance problem: go to the Firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.

    Thank a lot! Sounds like a good plan. I'll try this when I can get back to my system. Will let you know if this resolved the issue.

    Much appreciated!

  20. #20
    Moderator
    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Windows Update Instructor
    softwaremaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,382
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS MAXIMUS ROG HERO X
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
      • Memory:
        Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
      • Graphics:
        Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8 GB
      • Sound Card:
        Asus Xonar DSX
      • Hard Drives:
        WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III 7200rpm, WD Caviar Black 6TB SATA III 7200rpm
      • Disk Drives:
        Samsung 960 Evo 256GB NVME PCIe
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair HX 750W 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
        Fractal Design Define R6
      • Cooling:
        Noctua NH-D14
      • Display:
        Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 3840x2160
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64

    Re: Task Manager Freezes up in Windows Fall Creator

    Do let me know if this works for you :)


    Users needing assistance: If I haven't replied to your thread within 48 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

    Windows Update Academy Trainees: If I haven't replied to your CMF thread within 24 hours, please send me a Personal Message.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-04-2016, 05:36 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Windows Task Manager crashing - Home Premium x64
    By Rorus4 in forum Windows Update
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 06:29 AM
  3. Windows Task view has gone missing
    By JamesAB in forum Windows 10
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-28-2016, 04:03 AM
  4. [SOLVED] Windows Task Scheduler service is disabled, can not be started
    By Betageek in forum Windows 7 | Windows Vista
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Log in

Log in