Just an observation of my own.
I had an Asus P6T Deluxe v1.0 mobo and had BSOD issues during hibernation/sleep transitions while testing the Win7 beta.
I wasted a good deal of hardware trying to rule things out.
Finally I bit the bullet and bought the P6T Deluxe v2.0 mobo - and haven't had an issue since.
Yeah - I've basically come to the conclusion that the mobo just won't hibernate in Win7.
I suspect that the user's working patterns have changed,so that it's become noticeable, rather than anything else.
Looking through the relevant logs, Norton was installed on 1st April (apposite?), while MSE wasn't removed until mid June - the thing must have run like a slug in the meantime, but it was only when the main machine in the household started causing problems that I was called in for a twofer, with this one as the 'while you're here....'
Had a guy at work today that was running Norton A/V, McAfee, and Microsoft Security Essentials.
He claimed that he never had a problem with it.
I pointed out that he was having problems with McAfee's firewall just by looking in Event Viewer!
Hi, since this revolves around "hibernation" lets take a look there. Your hibernation settings are contained in a file "hiberfil.sys" and if it is corrupt could be the cause of your problem (none of this will do any harm). Lets clear the file:-
Open a CMD prompt (as administrator, accessories right click command prompt select "run as administrator)
At the prompt type:-
powercfg -h off press enter
reboot to take effect
This will disable hibernation and clear the hiberfil.sys file.
After reboot open another CMD prompt (as administrator, as above) and type:-
powercfg -h on press enter
reboot to take effect, then test again might just be the problem.
Already done that a number of times
Also deleted the hiberfil.sys file from orbit - i.e every time I had to go into RE to get the system back again.
Yes, I suspect that the hiberfil.sys file is being corrupted every time - the question is, what is corrupting it?
There is definitely something screwy - with hibernation disabled I get the following behaviour (BIOS set to S3)
Screensaver set to 'None'
Display set to switch off at 5 mins
Sleep set for 15 mins
If I wake from sleep after a couple of minutes, there's no problem
If I attempt to wake it after more than an hour, it exhibits the same behaviour as from hibernation - about 10 seconds of disk activity, and then just switches off. There's nothing in the Event log at all, from the time it went to sleep.
I just realised - I hadn't actually been switching hibernation off completely (sorry, Jenae!) merely setting it to 'Never' - this morning when I went through the routine, the hiberfil.sys file exhibited some strange properties..
I had to takeown, then grant Administrators full access before I was allowed to manually change the attributes and delete it?
I don't recall ever having had to do that before - and that was after running a Startup repair. I didn't see the original owner, but icacls showed very weird permissions.
Hibernation IS now disabled - so I'll retest with the sleep and see how it goes.
That was a bust
Same behaviour persists - allowing sleep for an hour seems to reset hibernation - when the system tries to come back up it just switches off.
Once I manage to get the system booted again, the hibernation is switched back on!
switch it back off, and reboot - good, no hiberfil.sys file, and the hiberbation controls are missing from the GUI power controls.
I'll let it sleep again for about 10 mins and see what happens - assuming that's OK, I'll try for an hour
It seems that the BIOS S3 standby is not compatible with Win7 - and even if Hibernate is switched off, the BIOS attempts to hibernate the system, corrupting the hiberfil.sys (and who knows what else.
The solution is to turn hibernate off in the OS, and switch teh BIOS to pure S1 standby.