What's new

High latency and DPC, need help interpreting Windows Performance report

barooshka

Contributor
I've been having issues with audio and video playback for several months now - crackling, pops, jitters, etc. The impact is worst for VR game play - I get skipped frames so often it becomes sickness inducing experience. So my HTC Vive is catching dust now. I need to mention I didn't have these issues for several months after I bought Vive and though I did some minor hardware changes I didn't notice any negative impact right after installation of new pieces.

What I've tried so far (listed in chronological order):
  • reset Windows (choosing keeping my files option) - lags still present after this step
  • upgraded CPU (performance improved but jitters and lags are still present)
  • updated BIOS to the latest version
  • rolled back to older NVIDIA drivers
  • installed audio and network drivers from motherboard manufacturer's web page
  • disabled audio devices I don't use through NVIDIA Control Panel

LatencyMon.PNG

An unusual thing I noticed that happens when audio lags and crackling become too serious is that my computer acts as if I reconnected 3.5mm audio jack in the back of my computer and Realtek Audio Console software asks me what is it that I just connected.
Audio disconnected.PNG

Windows Performance report
Since I reside in China I've uploaded ETL Windows Performance Recorder file on Baidu Cloud (services like DropBox or SkyDrive are blocked here) - please click the [下载(262M)] button to download the file. If the download is too slow outside of China please let me know.
This is the command I entered to run the report (not sure if it's correct, I copied it from another thread here)
xperf -on PROC_THREAD+LOADER+PROFILE+INTERRUPT+DPC+DRIVERS+POWER+IDLE_STATES -stackwalk Profile -BufferSize 1024 -MinBuffers 256 -MaxBuffers 256 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular Any suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

barooshka

Contributor
I just realized that I didn't finish reading the post that mentioned how to run Windows Performance Toolkit. I followed the steps there and this actually solved my issue!

Let's start by disabling Driver Verifier:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt by right-clicking on CMD.EXE shortcut in your start menu and selecting Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  2. Type the following command:
    Code:
    VERIFIER /RESET
  3. Reboot the computer
  4. Check if the issues still persist and, in case they do, generate a new trace.
Thank you.
From Very high DPC Latency by storport.sys and ndis.sys

Big Thank You to TomasD!