Page 12 of 19 First ... 28910111213141516 ... Last
  1. #221
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,157
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Speedtest

    That's a thought in itself. . . me cause trouble...??

    BSOD Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista ` ` `Carrona Driver Reference Table (DRT)
    https://www.sysnative.com/
    Sysnative Hex-Decimal-UNIX Date Conversion

    Has Sysnative Forums helped you?
    Please consider donating to help support the forum.
    Thank You!

    Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
    Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present


    • Ad Bot

      advertising
      Beep.

        
       

  2. #222

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA / East Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Speedtest

    I can't post my Fiber from home, but its 100mbit up / down. 40$ a month. I live within 2 miles of the ISP's service station, not to mention its 1ms. :)


    Also, I have un"limited" bandwidth. Couple months back, I believe it was April or June, I burned 2.25TB of bandwidth, and they said nothing. I stress tested some website security for a friend by bombarding it with LOIC. They said nothing. (My family watches a lot of Netflix, and I download a lot. :) )


    Edit: I thought I should post my ISP for those in the area.

    LocalTel Communications & LocalTel Communications


    It's quite amazing internet. :)

  3. #223
    Triple Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    134
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Alienware
      • Model Number:
        Alienware 17R5 2018
      • Motherboard:
        Alienware
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i9-8950HK 2.9GHz up to 5GHz
      • Memory:
        32GB of 2666Mhz G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4
      • Graphics:
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5X
      • Sound Card:
        Impressive audio is powered by Klipsch and Creative SoundBlaster Pro Studio Software
      • Hard Drives:
        Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512GB x 2
      • Disk Drives:
        ASUS USB 3.0 Blu-ray Writer Model BW-12D1S-U
      • Power Supply:
        Alienware 330W AC Adapter
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Cooling:
        Copper Heat Pipes with Fans
      • Display:
        17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Laptop Display
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    It's smoking tonight for a paid 35/3 plan.

    Daniel
    Triple Helix

    Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

  4. #224
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,157
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Speedtest

    Fast here too, but 75 Mbps d/l is a ways off!


    BSOD Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista ` ` `Carrona Driver Reference Table (DRT)
    https://www.sysnative.com/
    Sysnative Hex-Decimal-UNIX Date Conversion

    Has Sysnative Forums helped you?
    Please consider donating to help support the forum.
    Thank You!

    Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
    Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

  5. #225
    Laxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,852
    • specs System Specs
      • Motherboard:
        GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX
      • CPU:
        Intel 4690K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
        Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 2666Mhz
      • Graphics:
        2x Sapphire 7970s
      • Hard Drives:
        2x Corsair Force 3GT 120GB (RAID 0) + 2x Western Digital Red 3TB (RAID 1)
      • Disk Drives:
        LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
      • Power Supply:
        CORSAIR 950HX
      • Case:
        Corsair 350D
      • Cooling:
        Corsair H100i
      • Display:
        3 x 22" Samsung 1080p Displays
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Fast here too, but 75 Mbps d/l is a ways off!

    At those speeds I wouldn't be complaining...

    Sadly, Verizon or any other sane ISP in my area is out of the question...

    I had a choice between century link at horrible speeds or Comcast at decent speeds...

    I pay for 25/5 which is more than enough to get me by



    Will probably reevaluate my ISP situation next year when my contract is up but until then this works well

  6. #226

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA / East Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Fast here too, but 75 Mbps d/l is a ways off!

    At those speeds I wouldn't be complaining...

    Sadly, Verizon or any other sane ISP in my area is out of the question...

    I had a choice between century link at horrible speeds or Comcast at decent speeds...

    I pay for 25/5 which is more than enough to get me by



    Will probably reevaluate my ISP situation next year when my contract is up but until then this works well
    That's why I like LocalTel. They have no contracts. It's Pay or Cancel. No extra charges for it. It's pretty sweet.

    The only problem with MY Home ISP is, its a shared connection, I don't get a full 100Mbit connection to myself, sadly. When my family was the only ones with Fiber on the block, I did, but Verizon FiOS is here, as well as the "Charter" Fiber they have. I'm going to look into getting a better service, or host my dedi somewhere else.

  7. #227
    Triple Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    134
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Alienware
      • Model Number:
        Alienware 17R5 2018
      • Motherboard:
        Alienware
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i9-8950HK 2.9GHz up to 5GHz
      • Memory:
        32GB of 2666Mhz G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4
      • Graphics:
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5X
      • Sound Card:
        Impressive audio is powered by Klipsch and Creative SoundBlaster Pro Studio Software
      • Hard Drives:
        Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512GB x 2
      • Disk Drives:
        ASUS USB 3.0 Blu-ray Writer Model BW-12D1S-U
      • Power Supply:
        Alienware 330W AC Adapter
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Cooling:
        Copper Heat Pipes with Fans
      • Display:
        17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Laptop Display
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    In Canada where I live my ISP has a 250/250 plan but I'm paying $200.00 bucks a month for it as a home user.

    TH
    Triple Helix

    Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

  8. #228

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA / East Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Helix View Post
    In Canada where I live my ISP has a 250/250 plan but I'm paying $200.00 bucks a month for it as a home user.

    TH

    To be quite honest, you truly aren't getting those speeds. When you break down the packets properly, you have the header, and the "footer".


    So HHHHHH(Frame Information Here)FFFFFF is how it looks. The header includes information like the mac address, amongst other information.

    ISPs base their speeds off the "middle" part of the packet/frame. My cousins fiance used to work for iFiber, and he broke it down to me awhile back about how they truly "test" your speeds.

  9. #229
    Triple Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    134
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Alienware
      • Model Number:
        Alienware 17R5 2018
      • Motherboard:
        Alienware
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i9-8950HK 2.9GHz up to 5GHz
      • Memory:
        32GB of 2666Mhz G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4
      • Graphics:
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5X
      • Sound Card:
        Impressive audio is powered by Klipsch and Creative SoundBlaster Pro Studio Software
      • Hard Drives:
        Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512GB x 2
      • Disk Drives:
        ASUS USB 3.0 Blu-ray Writer Model BW-12D1S-U
      • Power Supply:
        Alienware 330W AC Adapter
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Cooling:
        Copper Heat Pipes with Fans
      • Display:
        17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Laptop Display
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by DreadStarX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Helix View Post
    In Canada where I live my ISP has a 250/250 plan but I'm paying $200.00 bucks a month for it as a home user.

    TH

    To be quite honest, you truly aren't getting those speeds. When you break down the packets properly, you have the header, and the "footer".


    So HHHHHH(Frame Information Here)FFFFFF is how it looks. The header includes information like the mac address, amongst other information.

    ISPs base their speeds off the "middle" part of the packet/frame. My cousins fiance used to work for iFiber, and he broke it down to me awhile back about how they truly "test" your speeds.
    So in that case what is the actual speed?
    Triple Helix

    Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

  10. #230

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA / East Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Helix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadStarX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Helix View Post
    In Canada where I live my ISP has a 250/250 plan but I'm paying $200.00 bucks a month for it as a home user.

    TH

    To be quite honest, you truly aren't getting those speeds. When you break down the packets properly, you have the header, and the "footer".


    So HHHHHH(Frame Information Here)FFFFFF is how it looks. The header includes information like the mac address, amongst other information.

    ISPs base their speeds off the "middle" part of the packet/frame. My cousins fiance used to work for iFiber, and he broke it down to me awhile back about how they truly "test" your speeds.
    So in that case what is the actual speed?
    For yours specifically, I don't know. As for my 100Mbit connection, I know I'm only pulling 30/30Mbit. My connection is a shared 100Mbit, so with that said, if you're sharing the connection, or if its a dedicated. You truly never get the speed thats advertised. You have latency, and other variables or factors that prohibit those speeds.

    Also, thats Mbit not MB. There is a tremendous difference. 8 bits = 1 byte.

    I would explain more, but I'm currently in the middle of a test on Cellular devices and how they influence the network operations of a network admin.

  11. #231

    Re: Speedtest

    FIOS is GOOD !Don't know how to embed image in post yet

    Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

  12. #232
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,157
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: Speedtest

    FIOS is moving along nicely tonight -



    BSOD Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista ` ` `Carrona Driver Reference Table (DRT)
    https://www.sysnative.com/
    Sysnative Hex-Decimal-UNIX Date Conversion

    Has Sysnative Forums helped you?
    Please consider donating to help support the forum.
    Thank You!

    Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
    Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

  13. #233
    A Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area Peninsula
    Posts
    351
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Custom
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS P7P55D
      • CPU:
        INTEL Core i5-750 Quad-Core 3.37GHz
      • Memory:
        KINGSTON 4GB (2 x 2GB) HyperX PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL8
      • Graphics:
        MSI N240GT-MD1G/D5 GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
      • Hard Drives:
      • Power Supply:
        ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS, 550W
      • Case:
        ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
      • Cooling:
        COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
      • Display:
        Samsung SyncMaster B2430H 24" , SyncMaster P2050 20"
      • Operating System:
        Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

    Re: Speedtest

    Trouble...

    A Guy

  14. #234
    Tekno Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Age
    20
    Posts
    5,908
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Custom Built
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS Z170I ITX
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
        16GB DDR4
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB Seagate HDD
      • Power Supply:
        450W Corsair SFX
      • Case:
        Silverstone SG13 ITX
      • Cooling:
        Corsair H60i
      • Display:
        Dell U2715H - 2160x1440 27 inch
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    FIOS is moving along nicely tonight -

    I don't have anyone to keep my slow internet company now!



  15. #235
    niemiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    7,854

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekno Venus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    FIOS is moving along nicely tonight -

    I don't have anyone to keep my slow internet company now!

    Oh yes you do! Although I'm actually flying along today compared to sometimes, still not very fast though:


  16. #236
    Tekno Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Age
    20
    Posts
    5,908
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Custom Built
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS Z170I ITX
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
        16GB DDR4
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB Seagate HDD
      • Power Supply:
        450W Corsair SFX
      • Case:
        Silverstone SG13 ITX
      • Cooling:
        Corsair H60i
      • Display:
        Dell U2715H - 2160x1440 27 inch
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    Oh yeah, forgot you were on the slow speeds too!

    Noticed you have Orange (EE) as your provider. Same here. Hoping to change to Sky soon - Orange's customer support leaves very much to be desired. Any surprise they are worst for customer complaints? The UK's best and worst broadband providers or how about Broadband speed: Orange tops table for most customer service complaints | Mail Online

    We had to ring them up once because of issues. Their remedy was to change the encryption on the router from WPA/2 to WEP. Didn't solve the issue, and it took customer support >30 minutes to 'guide' us through those steps.


  17. #237
    niemiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    7,854

    Re: Speedtest

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekno Venus View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot you were on the slow speeds too!

    Noticed you have Orange (EE) as your provider. Same here. Hoping to change to Sky soon - Orange's customer support leaves very much to be desired. Any surprise they are worst for customer complaints? The UK's best and worst broadband providers or how about Broadband speed: Orange tops table for most customer service complaints | Mail Online

    We had to ring them up once because of issues. Their remedy was to change the encryption on the router from WPA/2 to WEP. Didn't solve the issue, and it took customer support >30 minutes to 'guide' us through those steps.
    Yeah, I'm not happy with Orange but I don't see that changing will help me so just stick. In our local exchange there is only BT hardware. Not a single other ISP has rival equipment, so whatever provider we choose it will still go through the same BT hardware and will give the same speeds unfortunately.

  18. #238
    Tekno Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Age
    20
    Posts
    5,908
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Custom Built
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS Z170I ITX
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
        16GB DDR4
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB Seagate HDD
      • Power Supply:
        450W Corsair SFX
      • Case:
        Silverstone SG13 ITX
      • Cooling:
        Corsair H60i
      • Display:
        Dell U2715H - 2160x1440 27 inch
      • Operating System:
        Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Speedtest

    Glad to hear I'm not alone!

    It's the same situation here - it's all BT hardware along my road. If I turn left out my house and walk 200m, I can get Virgin Media fibre optic at 100Mb/s. But because I live on a main road, they can't fibre it, and I'm too far away from the cabinet for FTTC.

    We're only gonna change from Orange to Sky because it works out cheaper, because we have Sky for TV etc.

    I want this https://www.hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home
    niemiro says thanks for this.


  19. #239
    niemiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    7,854

    Re: Speedtest

    I've just got an email from EE today telling me that our internet connection is being upgraded over the next week! I don't know by how much, probably by not very much, but if it stabilises it so that images arrive properly every time, and downloads don't regularly crash (so much), even if there is no speed improvement at all, I will be so happy! Just have to wait and see though whether anything materialises. After all, it could be the copper network at fault, and not the exchange to green box connection after all.

  20. #240

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA / East Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Speedtest

    niemiro & Tekno,

    Where are you two fine gentlemen from? It sounds like the middle of the friggin' alps to me

Page 12 of 19 First ... 28910111213141516 ... Last

Log in

Log in