View Poll Results: "GEE-YOU-EYE" or "GOOEY"

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • GEE-YOU-EYE

    5 41.67%
  • GOOEY

    3 25.00%
  • Doesn't really matter!

    4 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #21
    GZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,923
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        GZ Technologies LLC
      • Model Number:
        Phenom-INAL
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS M5A97-EVO
      • CPU:
        AMD PhenomII x6 (1100T)
      • Memory:
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X blu PC3-12800
      • Graphics:
        XFX Radeon HD6770
      • Sound Card:
        Realtek ALC892
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB WD Caviar Black / 1TB WD Caviar Black / 1TB Seagate / 500GB Hitachi
      • Disk Drives:
        HP DVD 1270i SATA DVD RW
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair 850TX
      • Case:
        Antec 300
      • Cooling:
        Coolermaster V8 / 2x 12CM intake / 1x 12CM rear exhaust / 1x 14CM top exhaust
      • Display:
        Acer 23in 1920x1080 / Acer 20in
      • Operating System:
        Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    Aw hell... Good thing I'm not a traditionalist!

    This is like the difference between a "Bimmer" and a "Beemer"!

    "Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion


    • Ad Bot

      advertising
      Beep.

        
       

  2. #22
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,312
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    No, no, no, Bruce............

    The correct pronunciation = "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
    James7679 says thanks for this.

    BSOD Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista ` ` `Carrona Driver Reference Table (DRT)
    https://www.sysnative.com/
    Sysnative Hex-Decimal-UNIX Date Conversion

    Has Sysnative Forums helped you?
    Please consider donating to help support the forum.
    Thank You!

    Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
    Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

  3. #23
    AceInfinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
    Aw hell... Good thing I'm not a traditionalist!

    This is like the difference between a "Bimmer" and a "Beemer"!
    Tom-ay-toh, Tom-at-oh, some people say it differently as well :)
    Automation Programmer
    Microsoft MVP [2012 - 2018]

  4. #24
    Trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N.W. Indiana
    Posts
    178
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        Me
      • Motherboard:
        GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870
      • CPU:
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
        G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
      • Graphics:
        Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1Gig DDR5 DX11
      • Sound Card:
        Integrated RealTek HDA
      • Hard Drives:
        Samsung 830 SSD 256GB SATA III 2x Seagate 500 gig SATAII's ST3500418AS ATA
      • Power Supply:
        Antec EarthWatts EA750 PSU
      • Case:
        An Old Black 4u Rack Mount server case
      • Display:
        Twin Dell ST2320L
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8 Pro RTM

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    It could be a product of geography but more likely a matter of time (when you learned what you learned) and the vernacular of group from whom you learned it.
    I will generally always use the phrase rather than the spelling whenever possible but as others have pointed out such use is contextually sensitive.
    Sequel = SQL
    Gooey = GUI
    Eye-So= ISO
    But again, I'm pretty old and sort of stuck in my ways.

  5. #25
    jcgriff2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    16,312
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        HP
      • Model Number:
        HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us Notebook - E8A04UA
      • Motherboard:
        HP Insyde 720265-501 6050A2549501-MB-A02
      • CPU:
        Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz.
      • Memory:
        12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
      • Graphics:
        Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
      • Sound Card:
        Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers
      • Hard Drives:
        1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
      • Disk Drives:
        Hitachi 500 GB SSD; 7 TB USB External
      • Power Supply:
        90w
      • Case:
        Laptop
      • Display:
        17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1600 x 900)
      • Operating System:
        Windows 8.1

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
    Aw hell... Good thing I'm not a traditionalist!

    This is like the difference between a "Bimmer" and a "Beemer"!
    Tom-ay-toh, Tom-at-oh, some people say it differently as well :)
    You guys are too young to remember when few had BMW's and no one really knew what they were.

    My dad had a ~1985 BMW 635 CSI similar to -

    GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY-06-02-2012-1985_bmw_m635csi-jpg

    I had it at college one weekend and a friend was with me. He kept looking around, pressing buttons, then finally asked "dude... what kind of Toyota is this?"

    I hit the gas, he fell back in his seat, buckled up as the speedometer rapidly climbed to over 100 mph.

    BSOD Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista ` ` `Carrona Driver Reference Table (DRT)
    https://www.sysnative.com/
    Sysnative Hex-Decimal-UNIX Date Conversion

    Has Sysnative Forums helped you?
    Please consider donating to help support the forum.
    Thank You!

    Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
    Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

  6. #26
    GZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,923
    • specs System Specs
      • Manufacturer:
        GZ Technologies LLC
      • Model Number:
        Phenom-INAL
      • Motherboard:
        ASUS M5A97-EVO
      • CPU:
        AMD PhenomII x6 (1100T)
      • Memory:
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X blu PC3-12800
      • Graphics:
        XFX Radeon HD6770
      • Sound Card:
        Realtek ALC892
      • Hard Drives:
        500GB WD Caviar Black / 1TB WD Caviar Black / 1TB Seagate / 500GB Hitachi
      • Disk Drives:
        HP DVD 1270i SATA DVD RW
      • Power Supply:
        Corsair 850TX
      • Case:
        Antec 300
      • Cooling:
        Coolermaster V8 / 2x 12CM intake / 1x 12CM rear exhaust / 1x 14CM top exhaust
      • Display:
        Acer 23in 1920x1080 / Acer 20in
      • Operating System:
        Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64

    Re: GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It could be a product of geography but more likely a matter of time (when you learned what you learned) and the vernacular of group from whom you learned it.
    I will generally always use the phrase rather than the spelling whenever possible but as others have pointed out such use is contextually sensitive.
    Sequel = SQL
    Gooey = GUI
    Eye-So= ISO
    But again, I'm pretty old and sort of stuck in my ways.
    According to my wife, it is "Sequel" only when referring to Microsoft SQL!

    I have picked up the habbit of calling SQL Sequel as well...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
    Aw hell... Good thing I'm not a traditionalist!

    This is like the difference between a "Bimmer" and a "Beemer"!
    Tom-ay-toh, Tom-at-oh, some people say it differently as well :)
    You guys are too young to remember when few had BMW's and no one really knew what they were.

    My dad had a ~1985 BMW 635 CSI similar to -

    GEE (G)- YOU (U) - EYE (I) or GOOEY-06-02-2012-1985_bmw_m635csi-jpg

    I had it at college one weekend and a friend was with me. He kept looking around, pressing buttons, then finally asked "dude... what kind of Toyota is this?"

    I hit the gas, he fell back in his seat, buckled up as the speedometer rapidly climbed to over 100 mph.
    Hey John... I drove an '86 BMW 325e for a while. I have always been a fan of German cars, but prefer my overpriced Volkswagen!

    "Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Log in

Log in