BSOD, bad_pool_header error - Windows 8.1 x64

Hi! I'm getting BSOD when I try to start my computer. It tells me I've got a BAD_POOL_HEADER error. It tries to run diagnostics and recovery, but no dice. I tried to do a system restore, but it does nothing.

I also saw I had problems with CNBJ2530.DPG and prncacla.inf, but i ran sfc /scannow, followed the Guide on this site, and now it says that that's been fixed. But I'm still getting BSOD loading.

Because of that, I'm running this computer on Safe Mode with Networking (the only way I can get to anything on this).

I ran the file collection app, and am attaching the folder here as a zip file. However, when I tried to run the performance monitor, I got the following:

Error:
    An error occured while attempting to generate the report.
    The system cannot find the path specified.

I have no idea what to do, and would really, really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you all so much for reading.

Other info:

OS - Windows 8.1
    x64
    Original OS - Win 8
    OEM (Win 8.1 was update)
    Age of system: ~4 months
    Age of OS installation - Not sure; it updated to Win 8.1 whenever that first came out

CPU: Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    MotherBoard: (I'm not sure how to find it; sorry.)

System Manufacturer: Lenovo
    Exact model number: Ideapad U510, Model Name: 20191, Factory ID: PRC4

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop
    Attached Files Attached Files

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Re: BSOD, bad_pool_header error

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the BAD_POOL_HEADER (19) bug check.

This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.

BugCheck 19, {22, ffffc00000800000, 1, 0}

^^ Not a valid parameter to run !pool, !poolval, etc on. With this said, we cannot inspect the pool blocks to see what sort of corruption occurred.

You have two antivirus suites installed (AVG + McAfee), which is most certainly causing conflicts. Remove and replace both AVG and McAfee with Windows 8's built-in Windows Defender for temporary troubleshooting purposes as it may be causing conflicts:

McAfee removal - How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

AVG removal - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Windows Defender (how to turn on after removal) - Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

One of the biggest problems as far as antivirus suites go in terms of conflicts, is if there is more than one antivirus or anti-malware suite installed on the system. In your example, I will use AVG and McAfee . Let's say you have both installed and running, this is not a good scenario at all. Why? Most/if not all modern day antivirus suites are allowed direct access (come and go, whenever they want) to the kernel because an antivirus installs interceptors of system events within the kernel code, which passes intercepted data to the antivirus engine for analysis. This data is network packets, files, and other various critical data. With this said, when you have two pieces of software attempting to do this, you can imagine what sort of conflicts can occur.

Regards,

Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-10-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    bc7997 says thanks for this.

Re: BSOD, bad_pool_header error - Windows 8.1 x64

Oh my god, thank you so much! It's working!

I actually heard it could be my antivirus conflicting, but I wasn't able to uninstall AVG using the control panel while in safe mode, but that link you gave me worked perfectly. And I had no idea I still had McAfee. That came preinstalled, which I thought I uninstalled (also using control panel), but guess it didn't get it all.

Thank you so much. Seriously, thank you. I'm about to go donate to this site now. Thank you!
    Patrick says thanks for this.

Re: BSOD, bad_pool_header error - Windows 8.1 x64

My pleasure, I am glad to hear everything is working as intended now!

Regards,

Patrick