DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD

Hi guys,

Nice website, nice idea. I'm a linux programmer so I don't understand a lot of the Windows vernacular.
    My stats:
    OS - Windows 10 Home
    x64
    Windows 7 was original OS on system.
    Original OS was OEM version , Windows 10 was the free upgrade
    Hardware is 2014; main hard disk replaced 2016
    OS installation was when Microsoft did the Windows 10 free upgrade - 2015?

CPU - Intel Core i7 X980 3.33 GHz
    Video Card ATI Radeon
    MotherBoard -Pegatron 1PMTB-TK (hp:Truckee)
    Power Supply - HP 460 watts

System Manufacturer HP
    Exact model number Pavilion Elite HPE-580t
    Desktop

The Sysnative zip file is attached.

I suspect I started receiving the DPC watchdog violation months ago, since i often leave the computer in sleep mode, and when I "wake" it, it was back on the log in screen. But I experienced this while working on the machine in November. I looked up what to do and most fix it sites said the SATA ACHI disk driver to be installed . My computer uses an Intel SATA RAID driver (even though I do not use RAID). I resinstalled this driver, but the DPC BSOD kept occurring.

In December, it seemed like it was more frequent. I did a chkdsk. Ok. Then I did a sfc /scannow. no errors.
    Next, the dism.exe, and received the error "the wof driver encountered a corruption in the compressed files resource table" at 6%. Realizing I am in over my head, I searched for help and discovered your site.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Attached Files Attached Files

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

Re: DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD

Can we get a kernel? 0x101 is a PITA to debug without access to a lot of stuff not included in a small dump.

C:\Windows and then upload MEMORY.DMP to any favored drive website.

Hi mracky and welcome to Sysnative!

The system event log shows quite a few 0x133 bugchecks, a number of 0x116 bugchecks, and a few others. The most recent 0x116 bugcheck was:
    Code:
    Event[3325]:
      Log Name: System
      Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
      Date: 2018-11-24T14:18:07.337
      Event ID: 1001
      Task: N/A
      Level: Error
      Opcode: N/A
      Keyword: Classic
      User: N/A
      User Name: N/A
      Computer: pony
      Description: 
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffffaf8377511010, 0xfffff80a42cc8efc, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f34d5866-e3cc-4672-8243-a8ae6bfe0f3c.
    Bugcheck code 0x116 means Windows has detected a problem communicating with the display driver in a timely manner, tried to reset the display driver, but failed to do so. If the GPU is having problems it could also explain the 0x133 bugchecks. The other bugcheck codes are typical of memory corruption which might be explained by the display driver being successfully reset. A successful reset of the display driver could be noticeable as a brief flicker of the display and is usually accompanied by a live kernel dump which would appear in C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports or one of its subfolders. The collection app doesn't collect those dumps but does your system have that folder? If so, are there any dumps?

The only dump I see in the zip is a 0x133 bugcheck where the first parameter is 1. Minidumps aren't typically very useful for that bugcheck code and first parameter pair. Full MEMORY.DMP files aren't always, either. Sometimes a useful ETL trace can be extracted from a full MEMORY.DMP but that seems to be a 50/50 shot, in my experience.

Is the GPU a component you replaced in 2016?

Hi CW -

C:\Windows|LiveKernelReports and its sub-folders are all empty. I used CCleaner on my machine on 12/20 so perhaps that erased any dump files, although the BSOD happened this morning so I would expect that if the kernel dumped there would be something in there. I know -- a doh! moment. I will disable that cleanup app immediately.

Towards your question, I have not replaced the GPU; it is the original.

If C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP exists we might be able to get an etl trace from it which might show which DPC took so long. I have seen 2 minutes be the amount of time for a GPU associated DPC watchdog timer to runout, though. Can you remove the GPU and use onboard graphics (assuming the computer has that option) to see if the problems continue in that configuration? Or another known good GPU you could try?
    Last edited by cwsink; 01-05-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Patrick

Memory.zip is on dropbox at
    Dropbox - Public - Simplify your life

Memory.zip is on dropbox at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9la954dh7s54yn/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

no onboard graphics...

I was able to extract a trace but it's not readable by Windows Performance Analyzer, unfortunately.

I've not tried this but supposedly you can start a trace using xperf, use the system until it crashes, and then extract the trace from the resulting MEMORY.DMP file. It looks like this problem can take a long time to happen on your system, though, so we'd need to set up a circular buffer unless you know of a way to reliably reproduce the crash. We can try that but I'm not sure it will work and it might be a waste of your time, anyway. I'd be curious, though, if you're game. :)

Short of that, I do suspect the GPU is having problems based on what I see in the event logs and that the LiveKernelReports folder exists on your system. My guess would be TDR errors due to a faulty GPU. However, many things can cause TDRs as explained in this Nvidia post (it applies to AMD cards as well.)

My usual recommendation in this situation is to uninstall the GPU drivers using DDU in safe mode, reboot, and then reinstall the GPU drivers to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'd then want to try a different GPU. Those are usually the easiest things to try which commonly turn out to be the problem. I've also seen TDR's less commonly caused by failing PSU's, motherboard running an outdated BIOS, and faulty motherboards.

Perhaps we should see if we can get some live kernel dumps to verify you're getting TDR's unless the above suggestions are something you can easily try.

Code:
    Bugcheck code 00000133
    Arguments 00000000`00000001 00000000`00001e00 fffff801`e6c5d378 00000000`00000000
    0x1 first param tells us that we spent way too much time at DISPATCH_LEVEL (or above) IRQL. This is tough to debug due to the nature of the DPC's involving multiple drivers and not likely crashing when the offending code was actually running, whereas an 0x0 1st parameter would only deal with a single DPC which really only deals with one driver at the exact time of the crash.

The best way to deal with this type of crash is to use some sort of event tracing, like Xperf or WPA being two options. When using these tools, whichever you choose, you'll want to monitor for irregular DPC latency (see what DPC's from what drivers are taking way too long to resolve, etc). We actually have a good tutorial here - How to Diagnose and Fix High DPC Latency Issues with WPA (Windows Vista/7/8)

Edit: Lol, I didn't even see that cw was also discussing event tracing as well. Nice.

Downloaded xperf and followed directions from the sysnative how-to:
    How to Diagnose and Fix High DPC Latency Issues with WPA (Windows Vista/7/8)

as recommended by Patrick. Results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>xperf -on DiagEasy -maxbuffers 512 -buffersize 128

C:\WINDOWS\system32>xperf -d %userprofile%\Desktop\trace.etl
    Merged Etl: C:\Users\mike\Desktop\trace.etl
    The trace you have just captured "C:\Users\mike\Desktop\trace.etl" may contain personally identifiable information, including but not necessarily limited to paths to files accessed, paths to registry accessed and process names. Exact information depends on the events that were logged. Please be aware of this when sharing out this trace with other people.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>xperf %userprofile%\Desktop\trace.etl
    xperf: error: C:\Users\mike\Desktop\trace.etl: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057).

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Performance Analyzer Version 10.0.17763
    Performance Analyzer Command Line
    Copyright (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Usage: xperf options ...

xperf -help start for logger start options
    xperf -help providers for known tracing flags
    xperf -help stackwalk for stack walking options
    xperf -help stop for logger stop options
    xperf -help merge for merge multiple trace files
    xperf -help processing for trace processing options
    xperf -help symbols for symbol decoding configuration
    xperf -help query for query options
    xperf -help mark for mark and mark-flush
    xperf -help format for time and timespan formats on the command line
    xperf -help profiles for profile options

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir %userprofile%\Desktop\trace.etl
    Volume in drive C is HP
    Volume Serial Number is 59DB-D04F

Directory of C:\Users\mike\Desktop

01/06/2019 05:02 PM 42,074,112 trace.etl
    1 File(s) 42,074,112 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 1,071,517,343,744 bytes free
    I had to bump up the buffer size and max buffers in order to capture all events -- without I get missing events reports on the cmd line.
    i could not continue the suggested procedure in the how-to since the xperf command failed to bring up a window. Probably version differences?
    However the file is there, as seen by the dir results. (I could view the file using WPA but no DPC CPU chart was there.)

cw, I would be willing to set up a circular buffer, if you can walk me through it.

I assume the GPU is on the Radeon board since the motherboard has no graphic capabilities. I have started to shop for a new graphics card but would like to verify that is the problem before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for your help.

I just learned according to MSFT that xperf/view is no longer available as of Windows 8.1. Give WPA a try instead.

@Patrick, my understanding is a less functional console version of wpr is included with Windows but xperf is intalled along with WPA when the latest Windows 10 SDK or Assessment and Deployment Kit is used to install the Windows Performance Toolkit. That was true after the release of Windows 10 1809, anyway, but perhaps it's changed since.

@mracky, I'm not sure where things stand on your system as far as xperf right now or which version you have - if any. This is an xperf script which should work so I'd recommend putting the script on your Desktop, right-clicking it, and choosing "Run as administrator". It should launch an elevated command prompt at which point you press any key to start an xperf trace and just leave the command prompt window open while you use the computer as you normally would until a crash happens. The command prompt window should look like this while capturing the trace:
    DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD-2019-01-06-png

When the computer eventually crashes the trace should be saved in the MEMORY.DMP file and can hopefully be extracted. There may also be a file called kernel.etl at the root of a drive which might be needed but we can look for that if necessary. If you want to stop the trace early for some reason just press any key again and it should generate a file called trace_417.58.etl on your Desktop.

Please try the script and let me know if it looks any different from the above screenshot.

cw - looks the same, i'll keep it running while I use the computer. Will be in touch once this bsod happens again. thanks.

It should be capturing a trace then so we'll see how it goes. I did notice a mistake in the script but it shouldn't affect capturing the trace. There's a line which tries to delete a file named "trace.etl" from the Desktop which is supposed to match the filename of the file which gets created when the trace is stopped. It shouldn't be a problem unless you have a file called trace.etl file on your Desktop already. The last 2 lines of the script should generically be:
    Code:
    del "%userprofile%\Desktop\trace.etl"
    xperf -stop -d "%userprofile%\Desktop\trace.etl"
    I've been adding the Nvidia driver version number to the filename for testing I've been doing on my own system.