Page 2 of 2 First 12

Re: Stuttering in game and high latency, please eval my log files

*note: video does not coincide with the trace, it was a differen't occasion.

• Ad Bot

advertising
      Beep.

The trace was recorded while you noticed instances of the stutter, though, yes? I think I saw 2 or 3 of the hitches in the video if I'm seeing what you're talking about.

Please see the attached screenshot. Do you recall if the hitches first started happening around the 46/47 second mark in the latest trace? The green bars at the top are marking errors in the network communication over TCP/IP which I believe probably required data packets to be retransferred. I could see that causing hitches but I think your system is basically at the mercy of the Internet connection between it and the servers and/or how well the games' netcode handles dropped data packets. Are there any offline games you play that have similar hitches?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stuttering in game and high latency, please eval my log files-2018-10-08-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cwsink View Post
    The trace was recorded while you noticed instances of the stutter, though, yes? I think I saw 2 or 3 of the hitches in the video if I'm seeing what you're talking about.
    Yes, same game too just before I did the video capture.

Please see the attached screenshot. Do you recall if the hitches first started happening around the 46/47 second mark in the latest trace? The green bars at the top are marking errors in the network communication over TCP/IP which I believe probably required data packets to be retransferred. I could see that causing hitches but I think your system is basically at the mercy of the Internet connection between it and the servers and/or how well the games' netcode handles dropped data packets. Are there any offline games you play that have similar hitches?
    Checking offline game now. Can't recall exactly when the stutters happened.
    Is there any specific network tweak that can alleviate those issues? I do have both Interrupt Moderation and Flow Control disabled. So if I redo a trace with network I/O activity enabled only, I can figure out if toggling settings on my NIC fixes the issues?

*Update* Did some offline forza 7 racing with a full 32 ai cars, not a single stutter. Now this is happening in multiple online games, so I'm leaning towards a NIC setting or system setting of some kind.

Are there settings in the game that allow you to adjust network settings? If so, you might want to check the game forums for optimum settings based on your ISP and/or network speeds. Are you streaming or doing anything that the game would be contending with for network attention?

Are there settings in the game that allow you to adjust network settings? If so, you might want to check the game forums for optimum settings based on your ISP and/or network speeds. Are you streaming or doing anything that the game would be contending with for network attention?
    Not in these specific games, BF1 does though. I've tried turning all offloading off on the NIC and everything else specific for gaming tweaks and latency. Nothing has made it any better. I do net speed tests and I'm flying, no packet loss, not even behind a router, just the fios router with firewall off.

I just did another short trace, at the 1:08 mark of the trace is when a large stutter happened again. Please let me know if you see anything at all. Dropbox - F.zip

I'm not seeing anything obvious around the 68 second mark or anywhere, really. If the problem is really only appearing in online games I'd focus on trying to minimize the things that could be competing for processing network traffic. I'd disable antivirus, network monitoring software, packet prioritization software, etc. I'd test it without running any browsers running in the background to see if that makes a difference as I've seen some websites generate a lot of network traffic even when simply left open in a tab. I'd also turn off all of the system monitoring tools other than WPR. Most use the same event providers as WPR so likely redundant and will have some performance impact, however slight. The less running the better, really.

I'm drinking from a firehose with the amount of data in the traces, unfortunately. It's usually best to try and minimize the amount of data being collected because the data collection itself will have some sort of performance impact. If we can narrow it down to whether or not it only happens in online games, disk intensive games, CPU or GPU intensive games, etc. it might help.

Hmm interesting. Ok I will try this next thanks!

Closing all monitoring software made no change, however, it ended up being firefox. With it open it happens, with it closed it does not. Odd. With 32gb of ram and 8 cores you'd expect it not to even matter. No idea how to troubleshoot this. I have 6 windows open and about 50 tabs but they should all be suspended anyway when not being used. Hmm.

There is likely still network traffic from the browser. For example, I have 1 tab open in Edge showing the front page of twitch with the video paused. I opened a full screen session of Civ 6 and played for about 15 minutes. I closed Civ 6 and looked at the blocked ads count on the uBlock Origin extension and it had increased by about 10. In my mind it suggests there are scripts running trying to pull ads from a server. Who knows how good the connection to those ad servers is or if they are half way around the world. I'd also guess such script programmers are not fully committed to making their scripts as efficient as possible.

Tools like Wireshark, Process Monitor, or Process Explorer can show the network traffic to varying degrees.

Page 2 of 2 First 12