PC Health Check app for Windows 11 Update

Corrine

Administrator,
Microsoft MVP,
Security Analyst
Staff member
With all of the excitement for Windows 11, many users have already run the PC Health Check app to find out if their current PC is eligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

Although I was happy that my PC is eligible, when others ran the app, they received the following indication:

If you received the above notification, you may want to download a fresh copy of the PC Health Check app because it has already been updated. In fact, according to Steve Dispensa, VP of PM, Microsoft Endpoint Manager and Windows Commercial on Twitter:

We've just released an updated PC Health Check app here: https://microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?OCID=pchc_windows_app_omc_win… Navigate lower down to the “Check for Compatibility” section and click “Download app” We still have more work to do, but this version shows more information about why a device is ineligible.

Yes, running it with the new app gave me more information that it was the processor that was causing the problem:

1624651290141.png

I've from what I've heard, they've removed the requirement for TPM. I'm not sure why, most modern systems should have support for TPM.

Maybe instead of pretty recent processors not meeting the requirements, MS should massage the OS to accommodate more users.

MS should massage the OS to accommodate more users.

I am trying to decide whether this is really an attempt to finally put the nail in the coffin of OS backward compatibility with a simply massive array of hardware.

In truth, it makes sense to jettison this practice as it prevents taking advantage of a lot of features that are specific to the latest generations of processors.

If they stick to this, then it's certain that Windows 10 will remain actively supported up through 2025, and that might even end up being extended several times, because there's a lot of relatively recent hardware, really recent, that does not meet the currently stated requirements for Windows 11.

Both hardware and software have a finite shelf life, and I couldn't blame MS or any other OS maker were they to decide that there is a "backward compatibility breaking" release. It just makes so much sense, and there already exists a perfectly fine modern Windows - 10 - for everything that precedes that "break point."

In the end, though, I actually suspect what you say is what's actually going to happen. I foresee massive backpedaling about the so-called requirements to run Windows 11.

Whatever you heard, it has changed. TPM 2.0 is a requirement (again). The note at the bottom mentions the change.
Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook
More regarding TPM at BC in Windows 11 won't work without a TPM - What you need to know, particularly, how to enable Intel PTT and AMD PSPfTPM.

However, since Windows 11 considers TPM 2.0 and the Intel PTT and AMD PSP fTPM CPU features to be equivalent, most people who have purchased a CPU over the last 5-7 years do not need to buy a dedicated TPM for their motherboard.

Instead, to achieve Windows 11 hardware compatibility, you just need to enable Intel PTT or AMD PSP fTPM support in your BIOS.

@A Guy -- what is the source of the image showing "Security: TPM Version > = 1.2 and SecureBootCapable = True"? I haven't seen any official references showing that change.

@Corrine

I can't find it, either, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's been changed at Microsoft's site, again. If you search the web for ["Windows 11" "hard floor"] there are just way too many articles in the tech press that are making reference to precisely what's posted by @A Guy, and that simply cannot be coincidental. It's also consistent with what BleepingComputer reports about what's up with TPM, too.

Yes, @britechguy, BC is an excellent resource. I commented to Larry once about not knowing how he and his team did it, that it is like BC never sleeps. Anyway, as shown in the BC article,
Windows 11 won't work without a TPM - What you need to know, the conflicting information shown in the Hard Floor screen copy has been corrected.

Unfortunately, this week, there was a bit of confusion as one Microsoft support document stated TPM 1.2 was the minimum requirement for Windows 11. In contrast, another hardware requirements page said it was TPM 2.0.

Microsoft support doc that stated TPM 1.2 was compatible
Microsoft support doc that stated TPM 1.2 was compatible
This conflicting information has since been fixed by Microsoft, who clarified to BleepingComputer that Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0.

@Corrine

BC, where I used to moderate, has folks combing the world, both literally and figuratively. The physical locations of the various regular contributors virtually guarantees that someone, somewhere, is researching and writing when others of us are asleep!

Also, given BCs reputation, they can often get responses from Microsoft and other companies that none of us "mere mortals" can.

People are running the leaked version on unsupported hardware, on MBR disks, etc. Whether these workaround will still work on the actual release remains to be seen

A Guy

For now, the PC Health Check App has been removed. From Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements | Windows Insider Blog:

PC Health Check App

With these minimum system requirements in mind, the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11. Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements. We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall. In the meantime, you can visit our minimum system requirements page here to learn more.

Back